imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 AM

So, what of WV? If I travel with it, unloaded, in a case, and am pulled over will I still have it confiscated or get in legal trouble? Anything else I should know.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Keep in mind I'm giving advise based on the strict rules of infamous New York, so I wasn't aware it is considered "courtesy" in some states to tell an officer you're packing heat. In mine it is a health risk to not tell the officer. You are liable to get bad lead poisoning.
Yeah I hear ya.

Also, goodbomb:

http://www.gunlaws.com/links/linkswv.htm

Click some of the links on that page and see if you can't find out what you need.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Goodbomb View Post
I'm looking to purchase a firearm legally. I own a shotgun, no restrictions or permits required, but I'd like a handgun to keep in my home and take to the range/private residences that will allow me to shoot there.

I live in a college town, so the local police department are a little uncooperative with basically everything. I have read to contact your local police department for a conceal carry, but I suspect that they won't be very helpful, and I also suspect that such a permit will cost more than the firearms I can afford.

Without such a license, how can you keep and own a handgun? Between taking it from the store and your home, your home and the range, etc, how is this manageable? I suspect keeping a firearm on the seat, even if that's the legal way to do it, is a terrible idea. The police in the area are VERY well known for random traffic stops without reason, and for searches without warrants (they've been known to tell you "you can let us or you can wait til we get in contact with the magistrate and get a warrant, and if you make us do that, we WILL find something"), so carrying it in plain sight or hidden without a permit both seem like bad ideas.

So how can I manage this? I live in West Virginia.
You're mistaking KEEPING and OWNING a handgun with CONCEALED CARRY OF A LOADED HANDGUN which is completely different. Unless you live in a turdhole like New York City or Washington DC, you can OWN a handgun if you are over the age of 21 (without adult supervision, whereas a younger person must have adult supervision of some sort, depending on the state). You need no PERMIT nor LICENSE nor permission to OWN a handgun. You pass some sort of background check and fill out a form 4473 (plus any local or state form), but that's it.

Also in West Virginia, you don't ask the local cops. Only the SHERIFF of your county can issue a concealed carry permit.

Go to http://www.wvcdl.org/.

Don't listen to people giving you advice based on THEIR own states of residence. It does NOT help you one bit.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:

JUST TO BE CLEAR, I'M NOT A TERRORIST.
Oh yeah, that's in no way suspicious, and won't raise any concerns.

David.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

Hey, better to be obvious and clear myself than let people sleuth through my computer files or something.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
You're mistaking KEEPING and OWNING a handgun with CONCEALED CARRY OF A LOADED HANDGUN which is completely different. Unless you live in a turdhole like New York City or Washington DC, you can OWN a handgun if you are over the age of 21 (without adult supervision, whereas a younger person must have adult supervision of some sort, depending on the state). You need no PERMIT nor LICENSE nor permission to OWN a handgun. You pass some sort of background check and fill out a form 4473 (plus any local or state form), but that's it.

Also in West Virginia, you don't ask the local cops. Only the SHERIFF of your county can issue a concealed carry permit.

Go to http://www.wvcdl.org/.

Don't listen to people giving you advice based on THEIR own states of residence. It does NOT help you one bit.
I have always heard that going anywhere but your own home (including your car) with a weapon unloaded in your possession is illegal without some sort of permit. Is this correct?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:08 PM

I very much doubt that. I'm not from your state, or even country, but any gun law has to differentiate between transporting and carrying a gun. Otherwise you could never take it to the range. Our laws are (generally) stricter than yours and carry is for all intents and purposes illegal, but transport is another matter entirely.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Goodbomb View Post
I have always heard that going anywhere but your own home (including your car) with a weapon unloaded in your possession is illegal without some sort of permit. Is this correct?
Okay. What LIBERALS have you been listening to ? You live in WEST VIRGINIA!!!!!! That's considered a gun FRIENDLY state and massively more friendly than California, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, Illinois or New York. In fact I have NEVER heard the name WEST VIRGINIA mentioned when talking about the states with the worst gun control!

Hell, I looked up WV Laws on the web. and NO it is NOT correct. Hell, that isn't the case in MY own state of California, so now way in hell it's the case in West Virginia.

Read up on your state laws. It's easy.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Okay. What LIBERALS have you been listening to ? You live in WEST VIRGINIA!!!!!! That's considered a gun FRIENDLY state and massively more friendly than California, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, Illinois or New York.
I love how New York is last on the list. XD
Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
I love how New York is last on the list. XD
Depends if you're going from worse to worst!