imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
IMFDB Admin

Default Watchmen

Did anyone else see Watchmen in theaters yet, or am I the only crazy Watchmen fan who went to see it opening day?

Anyway, I made some improvements to the page and tried to memorize what I saw best I could, and I definately have to screencap this when it comes out on DVD.

To any other Watchmen fans out there, I left a short little review on the discussion and did my best to keep spoilers unspoiled.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 AM

I haven't yet, but I plan to.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 03-08-2009, 10:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

saw M16s, 1911 variants, an M79 grenade launcher, an ithaca shotgun, no M4s, so at least they were accurate about that. I saw shorties, but couldn't get good look at them to see which models they were. A couple revolvers.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 03-08-2009, 07:26 PM

i just caught it like 6 hours ago and it's 160mins long... full of crap if you ask me. just another big hype
Old 03-08-2009, 07:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It actually wasn't that bad. It wasn't like any comic book movie adaption like before. Very complex and deep in some way.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 PM
IMFDB Admin

You have to read the book first to enjoy it. Somethings I liked, some I didn't.

Cons:
For one, the film is much gorier than the book to the point were it can get kind of stupid. Dan and Laurie never killed anyone in the book, but in the movie they broke necks and stabbed people in the throats.

The swearing sometimes was forced just to warrant the R rating, since they never went further than the occasional "shit" in the book.

Rorschach is my favorite anti-hero along with the Punisher, and leaving out most of his story pissed me off. Still waiting on the Director's Cut DVD.

Malin Akerman is a piss-poor actress and brought down some scenes, made it hard for the other actors to work with.

Pros:
Fight scenes were very stylish and cool. Some were better than in the book.

Beginning intro was cool, summed up all the old technical stuff pretty well (probably confusing for people who never read the book though)

Rorschach's voice overs were almost word for word and Jackie Earl Haley was perfect for the role and looked and sounded exactly as I imaged Rorschach would.

I liked how they changed Rorschach's first killing. In the book he became Rorschach when he killed the dogs, instead they made him Rorschach when he killed the guy. It's more meaningful to go crazy killing a PERSON than a dog. "Men go to prison, DOGs get put down!" was a good line too.

I liked it and wasn't as dissapointed as I thought I'd be. Can't wait for the DVD.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM
IMFDB Admin

BTW, I completed the page 'cause I watched the movie with guns on my mind, so I tried to ID them best I could. Also stripped google of everything I could.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

My favorite Rorschach line was "I'm not locked up in here with you, you're locked up in here with ME!"

Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

That's my favorite too, but since I read the graphic novel that one wasn't a suprise for me.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

My opinion is that don't try to rip this movie apart when it does adaption from the comics, it's pretty faithful for the most part. Like any comic book movie, it has snags, but not much that would bother you unless you point it out.