imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 AM

Default Hilarious gun from "Soldiers of Fortune" (2012)

A friend of mine "recommended" a direct-to-video movie titled "Soldiers of Fortune", starring Sean Bean, Ving Rhames and Christian Slater. It's a bad British-Ukrainian flick of the 80s mercenary schlock kind (not to be confused with Schlock Mercenary). So, we have $10 knockoff gear, guns apparently borrowed from Ukrainian military, Sean Bean in a disgusting nautical sweater and THIS baby.

Imagine my hysterical laughter when I saw it. There are lots of bad weapon prop jobs in this world, but I think that this one takes the cake. Carved-up pipe that tries to imitate a MG42 barrel shroud, with an AK front sight and AR carry handle slapped on top, and all of it bolted on top of a PKM? But seriously?
Old 07-26-2012, 12:49 AM

Definitely a cheap attempt to replicate a PKP Pecheneg (fake shrouded barrel on top of the real one, M4 carry handle in the same position as the carry handle on a PKP and the scope mount). There are worse mocked up weapons in low-budget films though, such as the "M16"s made out of AK-47s that are seen in Bulgarian productions.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

What is it with Bulgaria? MP5s from PPS-43? ARs from AKs? Now this? Can they not get the real thing for legal reasons or are they just too cheap to do so?
Old 07-26-2012, 02:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

And even if they can't get the real things, why mod guns to look like them?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-26-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markit View Post
Definitely a cheap attempt to replicate a PKP Pecheneg (fake shrouded barrel on top of the real one, M4 carry handle in the same position as the carry handle on a PKP and the scope mount). There are worse mocked up weapons in low-budget films though, such as the "M16"s made out of AK-47s that are seen in Bulgarian productions.
No, I do believe this takes the cake. The M16-47s look chunky, but that's about it. This abomination looks like a damn mess that I'm not even sure I'd trust chambering a round, never mind firing one.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
This abomination looks like a damn mess that I'm not even sure I'd trust chambering a round, never mind firing one.
I don't see why, all the modifications look purely cosmetic and wouldn't affect the operating mechanism of the base weapon.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
I don't see why, all the modifications look purely cosmetic and wouldn't affect the operating mechanism of the base weapon.
My thoughts exactly. Also, something new, this time from Hollywood so there's no "poor third-world Middle-Eastern European country" excuse:

"Looper"'s HOBO CANNON. Okay, I could understand that you don't really need anything fancy to shoot a bound and gagged target from 15 feet, but putting RIS rails on it gives this thing a whiff of the Deep South "Redneck Tacticoolness".
Old 10-07-2012, 04:25 AM

Lightbulb

I just started to put together the Soldiers of Fortune page. Feel free to add to it!

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Soldiers_of_Fortune