imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 06-28-2011, 12:47 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Not even zombies? I don't like playing multi-player either, and rarely do it, but I make an exception for zombies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I never liked zombies, it relies a lot on teamwork and people online...well arent team players.
At least, I don't ever set up zombie mode whenever people come to my place. I have done it at my friends' places, on their 360s.

But right now, I'm just trying to enjoy the SP experience.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:57 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Better reason to buy it: It also happens to be one of the most epic and cinematic experiences in video gaming history (and yes, I just said "epic", but if any game deserves that adjective, HL2 is it). The crowbar and gravity gun are just bonuses.
I must say HL2 left me cold. Probably because back when I got it there was no games store in our town, so I had to go to the next one over, pick it up, come back, then wait for four hours for it to install and then update Steam on my dialup (which it didn't tell me would basically take forever; I'd never have bought it if I realised it was going to take that long). Then I had to put up with it making me wait a half-hour until the actual shooting things started, and by that point if the first time I pulled the trigger I'd found myself standing at the gates of heaven I'd still have asked Saint Peter what took so long.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 AM

I just finished watching Futurama: Bender's Big Score. It was pretty good. And FYI: Zapp Brannigan is synonymous with retard and n00b.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
I just finished watching Futurama: Bender's Big Score. It was pretty good. And FYI: Zapp Brannigan is synonymous with retard and n00b.
I liked Bender's Big Score. The other movies, eh, not to much. But that's always been the problem with Futurama, for every one good to great episode they make, they also make four mediocre to bad episodes.

I once heard Zapp Brannigan described as "if William Shatner as himself was a starship captain."
Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I once heard Zapp Brannigan described as "if William Shatner as himself was a starship captain."
My reaction when Zapp Brannigan was going to lead the assault was "NO GOD NO!!! WE'RE ALLL SERIOUSLY FUCKED!! Also, the ending with the army of Benders was epic.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 06-28-2011, 02:14 PM

Bender is the greatest.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Bender is the greatest.
No words have been truer, my good friend.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I must say HL2 left me cold. Probably because back when I got it there was no games store in our town, so I had to go to the next one over, pick it up, come back, then wait for four hours for it to install and then update Steam on my dialup (which it didn't tell me would basically take forever; I'd never have bought it if I realised it was going to take that long). Then I had to put up with it making me wait a half-hour until the actual shooting things started, and by that point if the first time I pulled the trigger I'd found myself standing at the gates of heaven I'd still have asked Saint Peter what took so long.
No offense, but those aren't good reasons. I agree that Steam sucked when it first came out (even on broadband; I didn't have dialup anymore by that point). But if the actual gameplay experience of HL2 left you "cold", you must have designed and coded your own FPS that was superior to anything else in 2004 (and then failed to share it with the rest of us).
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I dunno, it just seemed obsessed with its own gimmickry, none of which had anything to do with shooting things. The ammo counts were tiny because they wanted you to use the junk-hurling machine, there were stupid, out-of-place physics puzzles that made you feel like you were playing the physics system rather than playing with it (stop the helicopter chase! Time to push a washing machine into a hole!), endless scenes of nothing but unskippable on-the-nose exposition delivered by people standing still and staring at you disconcertingly (and sometimes even walking backwards just so you could see their facial animation) while you stood in a locked room full of nothing-to-do, the incredibly empty buggy and airboat levels, the stupid, tedious section where you had to use bits of hard-to-land-on junk to cross sand, the jumping puzzles, the strange sense the entire game was about everyone in it except you...

Hate to say it, but it did absolutely nothing for me; the only part I really enjoyed was Ravenholm. I liked the original Half-Life and Opposing Force, even if they haven't aged well, but of all the games I have played through (often multiple times for recording) I've only bothered to beat HL2 once and haven't ever stuck through either Episode or felt any compulsion to do so.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I dunno, it just seemed obsessed with its own gimmickry, none of which had anything to do with shooting things. The ammo counts were tiny because they wanted you to use the junk-hurling machine, there were stupid, out-of-place physics puzzles that made you feel like you were playing the physics system rather than playing with it (stop the helicopter chase! Time to push a washing machine into a hole!), endless scenes of nothing but unskippable on-the-nose exposition delivered by people standing still and staring at you disconcertingly (and sometimes even walking backwards just so you could see their facial animation) while you stood in a locked room full of nothing-to-do, the incredibly empty buggy and airboat levels, the stupid, tedious section where you had to use bits of hard-to-land-on junk to cross sand, the jumping puzzles, the strange sense the entire game was about everyone in it except you...

Hate to say it, but it did absolutely nothing for me; the only part I really enjoyed was Ravenholm. I liked the original Half-Life and Opposing Force, even if they haven't aged well, but of all the games I have played through (often multiple times for recording) I've only bothered to beat HL2 once and haven't ever stuck through either Episode or felt any compulsion to do so.
Well, OK, at least here, you are making some arguments about the actual gameplay.

But I disagree with you that the physics was treated as a "gimmick". In Doom 3 (which came out earlier that year), the physics were a gimmick. In HL2, I thought that the physics really made the gameplay a lot more exciting. And so what if they kept ammo availability low so that players would be encouraged to use the Gravity Gun more often? Once I realized how much more fun it was to hurl saw blades at zombies with the Gravity than to just shoot them, I stopped caring that I couldn't find enough MP7 ammo.

A lot of your other complaints, while valid, seem fairly minor relative to the big picture. I don't see how you could have been so unmoved by some of the wonderful levels in the game, like the shootout on the suspension bridge, the various battles with the Striders, leading the Antlions, and the infiltration of the Combine tower. It all felt like an epic sci-fi movie, and for moments like that, I can forgive a few places where the game lags or gets buggy.

Also, not sure I'd say that the original Half-Life aged poorly. Obviously, it's dated compared to most contemporary shooters, but for the better part of 5 years, it was by far the best SP and online FPS experience available. Despite the various new FPS games that came out on PC between HL and HL2 (Quake 3, Unreal Tournament and Unreal 2, Deus Ex, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Far Cry, etc.), my copy of HL stayed on my hard drive even while my computer and OS got upgraded three times. Even now, I still have HL: Source on my current laptop, and I'm really looking forward to playing Black Mesa: Source (if it ever gets released).

Last edited by MT2008; 06-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.