imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Default Why were AR Psitols or the Taurus Judge invented?

The DE thread got me going.We have the AR pistol, that should be sold with 2 manhole covers and a roll of duct tape. The taurus judge, which fails as a pistol and shotgun.

The AR pistol is not desighned for carry, has a barrel too short for any muzzle velocity, and not accuarte, evn with those stupid class 3 SBRs made from them. Then i see Sig making Sig556 pistols.

The taurus judge was hyped by gunwriters, but most shooters hate the thing. It's small rifling and long chambers give .45lc rounds terrible accuracy, shooters struggle to hit a man sized target at 25 yards. As a .410, the fact there is rifling and the barrels so short means it cant pattern at all. One gun review said "we could keep most of the pattern within an 18inch circle, at 5 yards! (like that's good?) Ive also seen where the .410 shotshells failed to pierce leather jackets and it does not have enough firepower to be used for SD.

In conclusion, both are useless mall ninja weapons.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Eh, AR pistols are fun to shoot for fun. Not every gun needs to be carried for self defense.

I agree about the Taurus Judge though, that gun sucks.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:52 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
The AR pistol is not desighned for carry, has a barrel too short for any muzzle velocity, and not accuarte, evn with those stupid class 3 SBRs made from them. Then i see Sig making Sig556 pistols.
Yeah, I have no idea what made SIG-Sauer decide to produce the 556 pistol. Making pistol knock-offs of assault rifles is the kind of thing you expect to see from sleazy, cheap clone manufacturers, but not a company of SIG-Sauer's reputation. As a SIG guy, I find it almost embarrassing, especially when I see posters on the SIG forum who bought the damn thing and claim it's so awesome. I'm not such a big fan of the 556 series in general, but the pistol was a particularly dumb idea by SIG's standards.

Speaking of which, I'm beginning to wonder what SIG-Sauer's R&D guys have been smoking lately, because in the past two years, SIG has put out a lot of ridiculous products. Like those f'ugly-ass "Platinum Elite" versions of the P220, P226, and P229. What the hell? Is SIG marketing itself to the "ghettofabulous" crowd now?

It's annoying to me that a gun manufacturer I like so much now appeals to (and caters to) complete morons. Ugh.

Last edited by MT2008; 04-04-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:04 PM

I see people on forums who add a stock to a sig 556 pistol and claim it is the ultimate defensive carbine, but the performance from that abrrel must Suck, bad. I lvoe when people buy a 14.5 inch barrel, pay the tax stamp and all, when it cant do anything a 16 inch can't do. One guy said short barrels help you dismount a vehicle under fire better......I think random teams of heavily armed tangos will engage you on your way to the grocery store. My 870s barrel is 20 inches and i can room clear jsut fine and dismount a car if necessary, which it isn't.

As for recent sig products, what's with the mustang clone? It even takes colt mags, but I don't see how SAO is desirable on a pocket gun.

Last edited by k9870; 04-04-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:53 PM
IMFDB Admin

If they added a stock, they've made an illegal carbine unless they pay their tax stamps. Because now it is a pistol with a stock (or a very short barreled carbine) and no longer a pistol.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:15 PM

They do get the tax stamp and all, I just consider it a waste of money to have a carbine with 7 inches of barrel.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
One guy said short barrels help you dismount a vehicle under fire better......I think random teams of heavily armed tangos will engage you on your way to the grocery store.
Only when you shop at WinCo.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I keep hearing that with Law Enforcement and military magazines that shorter barrels on rifles are effective when you get out of you vehiecles.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-05-2009, 02:18 PM

They mean m4 length, wonder what the sight radius is on a 7 incher, and the lost velocity makes range bad, as well as stopping power.