imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Default Question from a first timer

Ok so I am new to the gun world, just turned 21 and have been looking into a handgun to get. I feel like I have narrowed it down to either a Glock 17 or a S & W Sigma Series SW9VE 9mm (I was thinking 9mm either way because I thought it would be a cheap and easy way to get started correct me if I'm wrong). If anyone has any tips on which to go with or even another gun altogether I would love to hear any opinions since I really know very little. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:48 AM

The Sigma is basically a glock with a heavier trigger pull. If you have the money, I'd say get a sig. If not, the ruger p-series is always a good deal.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:16 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunslinger121 View Post
Ok so I am new to the gun world, just turned 21 and have been looking into a handgun to get. I feel like I have narrowed it down to either a Glock 17 or a S & W Sigma Series SW9VE 9mm (I was thinking 9mm either way because I thought it would be a cheap and easy way to get started correct me if I'm wrong). If anyone has any tips on which to go with or even another gun altogether I would love to hear any opinions since I really know very little. Thanks.
I've fired several different Glock models (-17, -17C, -19, -22, and -26, all but the -17C rented), handled many more, and have yet to find one I liked as much as my SIG P226. The contours of the grips are uniformly awful on Glocks. They are, however, quite reliable, almost indestructible, and inexpensive. You can't really go wrong with them, especially as a first-time handgun buyer; plenty of people I know own Glocks and like them. But you can also do better.

I know very little about the S&W Sigma series, as I've never handled/fired one before. Looking at them, I'd say the grip design seems more ergonomic, but have heard the same trigger complaints which k9870 mentioned. The M&P might be better, except it's also pricier.

Besides Glocks, there are plenty of better options. The Springfield XD series is also quite popular, plus they have better grips (except for the XD45, which I found too wide for my hands), better triggers, and are just as reliable and durable as Glocks. The SIG Pro is also not a bad choice, though they're a little overpriced for what you get (they tend to go for $100 more than Glocks).

I have no experience with Ruger's polymer-framed pistols, but there's a de facto boycott against them in most of the gun-owning community (it's taboo to praise Rugers anymore, though I really like the P94 I fired).
Old 04-15-2009, 02:05 AM

Actually it used to be taboo, some people just don't notice bill ruger died and his traitorism went with him. Whole new company now. I know people with p94, p95 and the very well liked p90. All are rugged and accurate.

The sigma is kind of glock-like but has a full double action pull, while the glock is partially cocked and a little lighter.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

I've shot a few Glocks and I love them. I recommend them. Glocks are super easy to dissassemble and clean, so I thought that was an awesome feature as well. Plus, it's a cop gun, so it's cool...
Old 04-15-2009, 02:28 AM

I would also suggest www.thefiringline.com for gun questions.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 AM

If it's between the G17 and the Sigma, I choose the Glock everytime. I own a 3rd generation Glock 17 and I'm liking it more and more. It's my competition shooting pistol.
Pros:
super reliable, low maintenance, relatively accurate (provided you aren't bothered by the grip angle), easy to operate, easy to field strip, tons of parts/accessories that are easy to come by.

Cons:
the grip angle bothers a lot of people so try it out and see if it suits you, pretty bland pistol (i don't want to say ugly b/c i honestly sort of like the simple look to it but it's def no 1911 in the looks department),

All in all the Glock is a great gun, not the best, but great none the less. There are tons of other alternatives too but it really depends on a few criteria. Answer yourselves these questions.

1. Price Range?
2. What do you want the main purpose of the gun to be?
3. Do you want polymer or steel?
4. Do you prefer SA (single action), DAO (double action only), DA/SA (double action/single action), or one of the many other variants of triggers (DAK, LEM, Etc...)
5. Autoloader or Revolver? (sounds like you've decided on a autoloader)

Sigs, HK's, and 1911's are great but tend to cost a bit more. For cheaper Springfield XD's, Smith and Wesson M&P's, and Beretta PX4 Storm's are generally a bit cheaper but still a great buy. CZ's are a good choice and they have a huge following of fans.

Whatever you decide to get I highly suggest that you go through a firearm safety course so you get familar with gun safety. Too many people think they don't need to take a class but these are the people who give gun owners a bad name and are downright dangerous when it comes to handling guns. Welcome to the gun world, better get another job because it becomes a very expensive hobby.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:00 AM

Thanks for all of the help every little thing that is probably trivial to all of you is new to me so I appreciate it. I never thought when I first started looking there would be so much involved in the process. To answer some of those questions:

1. Right now $600 is probably my top range.
2. My dad has a couple guns and most of the use would be taking it to the range and shooting with him and also home defense (although hopefully it will never come to that).
3. I don't have a preference on polymer or steel.
4. Again as far as the action and trigger variants I don't know enough about them to know what I prefer probably whatever would be easiest to get used to for my first one.
5. And yes I have decided on autoloader for my first one.

Also I think my dad was planning on both of us going through a course like you mentioned he is fairly new to all of this as well and I wouldn't even be comfortable owning a gun and not knowing everything I need to so I will be sure to do that.

Sounds like I have some more research to do.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:18 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Some additional points...

Quote:
1. Right now $600 is probably my top range.
If that's the case, you should definitely look at some alternatives in that price range, especially the Springfield XD and SIG Pro 2022.

Quote:
3. I don't have a preference on polymer or steel.
You'll probably find you like polymer better, but then again, maybe not. My favorite pistol in the whole world, the SIG P226, is all-metal. A new one would cost you way more than $600, but a used one is highly recommended (I can tell you all about those).

Quote:
4. Again as far as the action and trigger variants I don't know enough about them to know what I prefer probably whatever would be easiest to get used to for my first one.
Then I wouldn't be too concerned about it, personally. The only thing I can say is that you might find you prefer the simplicity of DA-only (many people do nowadays).

Quote:
Sounds like I have some more research to do.
I would recommend finding a local range that rents guns out. That's usually the best thing to do, though it also means you'll have to spend money on ammo and range fees.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:20 AM

In the $600 price range I suggest you look the Glock, XD, M&P, and Px4 Storm. There are others as well. If you like the 1911, they can be had in that price range if you look for Rock Island Armorys, Taurus, Springfield GI, I believe STI as well. Go to a range that rents pistols and try a few out before you buy. That way you can decide what you like. What you like may be different from what others like.