imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Casless ammo in future guns

So what is everyone's opinion about this tech. It's been around for awhile now. There had been several guns like the G11 that's attempted caseless ammo. So what is your opinion on this as the ammo of the future?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-19-2010, 03:25 AM

I'm surprised that everyone who talks about Caseless Ammunition seems to have conveniently forgotten the VOG-25 grenades that the Russians currently use, which are completely caseless. Saves time when loading them since you don't have to extract a case, which definitely comes into play when loading a revolving multiple grenade launcher (perhaps it could even help another version of the XM307 "Grenade-launching machine gun" work better).

But yes, Caseless Ammunition definitely has some interesting applications. If a major military adopts the 6.8mm round en masse, Caseless Ammunition could be the weight-saving measure they need, since the round will obviously be larger than the 5.56mm cartridge. That's assuming the increased cook-off possibility, increased heat load, and need for an "emergency extraction mechanism" to manually extract the occasional dud round problems all get worked out, of course . . .
Old 07-19-2010, 04:19 AM

From what a friend on a cyberpunk forum told me that while the G11 was really neat to shoot it had it's issues that hurt is badly as a serious combat rifle. heck I can think of alot of issues with just the ammo alone.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I never like the G11's look. It didn't feel very practical looking with suck a bulk. There's no way you can quickly get the mag out and reload in a conventional manner. It's like a reverse P90 magazine.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Caseless ammo, I've really got no specific opinion on. If they can make it, and a weapon to go along with it, soldier-proof, great. But if that doesn't work, the brass case has served us well and will continue to do so.

But I'm in the same boat as Excalibur about the G11. It looks way too bulky and square to be practical. If they could have put it into a more practical "skin" like the M16 or SCAR, I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about it.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-19-2010, 02:31 PM

How well does it work? You would expect some guns using it if it worked well.