imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 04-04-2017, 08:28 AM

Thumbs down Shows/Films ruined by cruddy gunfights

So the finale of this seasons' Walking Dead aired and- no big spoilers- there was another laughable gunfight with poor CGI'd muzzle flashes, very little evidence of recoil, no use of cover and a general sense of people pointing props at each other while going 'peow peow'. Whatever meagre sense of climactic action TWD stokes is regularly ruined by poor gunplay.

I'm not anally-retentive regarding 100% accurate depictions of bullet exchanges (I was raised on Peckinpah and John Woo), but it's grating when a show or movie doesn't put much effort in.

Any thoughts on TWD or examples of other shows/movies where climactic gun battles are let down by poor choreography/sound/general realism etc?
Old 04-04-2017, 09:59 AM
IMFDB Admin

Another thing that bugged me about that fight was that the head of the junk yard people was holding that very obviously non-gun SIG for the whole standoff. Not only did it look really crappy, but it also meant that I knew she was going to shoot somebody point blank as that is the only reason to use a non-gun prop.

Also, did ANY named character actually die in that entire fight (ignoring the one that was already dead at the start)? It just seemed like a whole load of pointless shooting.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:28 AM

Aye, automatic weapons 'firing' in all directions and no named characters get killed. Cracked me up that the first dead body you see was wearing a red(ish) shirt...!

Your first point brings me to another bug-bear- people holding pistols one handed, arm outstretched, for considerable amounts of time. I know it's possible to do so, but given the weight and strain on the arm, a bit foolish when - as in this case, she could have just aimed from the hip and saved herself a lot of arm ache...
Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I can kinda understand seeing that the vast majority of the characters wouldn't be gun people, so their stances and handling would be piss poor at best but this show is just stupid when it comes to the props.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-04-2017, 07:49 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I wouldn't call it ruined, but I was disappointed by the gunplay in The Raid. I get it, it's a martial arts flick, but if you're going to go through the trouble of sending all the actors to training in weapons and tactics with a real special forces unit, why go all-Airsoft?
Old 04-04-2017, 10:00 PM

Conversely I was going to mention The Raid as an example where cheapo After-Effects post-production gun effects worked really well (as opposed to TWD). Each to their own!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
Conversely I was going to mention The Raid as an example where cheapo After-Effects post-production gun effects worked really well (as opposed to TWD). Each to their own!
Like I said, it didn't ruin the movie, it was very convincing. If you didn't watch the special features, I don't think the casual viewer would ever know. But if you're going to go all the way with the training, it's a shame not to go with real guns.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
If you didn't watch the special features, I don't think the casual viewer would ever know.
Aye, had me fooled. I was so swept up in it I didn't know for a long time they were Airsoft. At a shoe string budget of, what, 2 million dollars, it can be excused I guess. But given that TWD has a budget of around that per episode, plus access to what looks like real firearms (or decommissioned/blank adapted ones anyway), you would have thought the sfx and general realism of the gunfights would be better (hell, I could do a better job storyboarding and using After Effects, gimme a job, AMC!).
Old 04-05-2017, 01:59 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think with the Raid, perhaps the reason why there are no real guns could be both the fact that it was a low budget production and that the filming was in a country that has really strict gun control and probably because of their limited budget, they didn't get or couldn't get blank guns. I was a bit surprised that the cop characters had rifles with silencers but no optics. Then again, in the behind the scenes training, neither did the rifles they worked with

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-08-2017, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I wouldn't call it ruined, but I was disappointed by the gunplay in The Raid. I get it, it's a martial arts flick, but if you're going to go through the trouble of sending all the actors to training in weapons and tactics with a real special forces unit, why go all-Airsoft?
They probably couldn't get blank guns, or a permit to use them

http://www.introvertisland.com