imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 04-07-2010, 04:46 AM

Question Time for a glossary?

NOTE TO MODERATORS: I'm not entirely sure if this should have been posted in the "Just Guns" forum or the "imfdb-specific issues" forum. If this is in the wrong forum, then the moderators should feel free to move it to the appropriate section.

I think it's high time for a glossary to be posted in the wiki. From what I've seen here, there's lots of gun aficionado terms being bandied about on the wiki and the forums that less-informed people may not know the significance or definitions of. I'd like to think of myself as not a gun dummy, but still not an armoury expert either. There's lots of gun terms I'm still not familiar with, such as "forward assist," the exact difference between flash hider types, how you can tell a decocker from a magazine release, how a holographic sight is different from a red dot sight, etc.

Out on the net there's lots of confusion over even basic gun concepts (such as when it's appropriate to use the term "bullet clip," which is often mistaken for the same thing as a "bullet magazine"), and we certainly don't need more entries with inaccurate or just plain misunderstood guns here. I believe a glossary would be a step towards helping users here understand entries better, and be a way to prevent misinformation by making sure the right information is just a few clicks away right on this wiki.

Of course it would have to be edit-protected against unregistered users, and probably divided into sections such as "terms about gun technique," "terms about gun parts," "terms about ammunition types" to start. Sounds like a tall order, but it seems there are plenty of gun gurus here who are willing to contribute their time and expertise to this wiki. Maybe it's time we helped to dispel some ignorance about the guns on this wiki as well.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:43 PM

I think that's actually a really good idea.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:40 PM
IMFDB Admin

the problem is "Where would it go?" Until Bunni creates another category that is listed on the MAIN PAGE along with the other major categories, it will be an awkward fit in any of the other major subsections.

I suggest we have a 'General Information' subcategory. We can put tributes / over extensive trivia pages(!) / gun information pages (like my history of M16s page which is just floating on nothing right now) / Glossary items, etc.

Or we can call it something else other than "general information" (any ideas for a one word category title?)

At any rate, we still need the Webmaster to determine if it is warranted and set up the main page to list it. For that we need Bunni's effort and approval.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

It does seem good for the site to have a glossary for those who don't know what some firearms terms are.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Site Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
the problem is "Where would it go?" Until Bunni creates another category that is listed on the MAIN PAGE along with the other major categories, it will be an awkward fit in any of the other major subsections.

I suggest we have a 'General Information' subcategory. We can put tributes / over extensive trivia pages(!) / gun information pages (like my history of M16s page which is just floating on nothing right now) / Glossary items, etc.

Or we can call it something else other than "general information" (any ideas for a one word category title?)

At any rate, we still need the Webmaster to determine if it is warranted and set up the main page to list it. For that we need Bunni's effort and approval.
Sounds good to me - just added it. If you come up with a name you'd prefer over General Information let me know and I'll change it.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunni View Post
Sounds good to me - just added it. If you come up with a name you'd prefer over General Information let me know and I'll change it.
Thank you very much. I'm sure it'll be an excellent tool towards dispelling ignorance about firearms on this wiki. Here's another three articles I'm sure could be included one day there:

Types of Firearm firing mechanisms (bolt action, lever action, etc.)
Types of Firearm malfunctions (failure to eject, failure to feed, etc.)
Types of Firearms licenses required for armourers and their associates:
Old 04-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Just took at look at it. Looks great but it needs more articles. Just one on shotguns.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:20 PM

can someone please do one on revolvers.
they just puzzle me
Old 04-11-2010, 04:02 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazryonh View Post
Thank you very much. I'm sure it'll be an excellent tool towards dispelling ignorance about firearms on this wiki. Here's another three articles I'm sure could be included one day there:

Types of Firearm firing mechanisms (bolt action, lever action, etc.)
Types of Firearm malfunctions (failure to eject, failure to feed, etc.)
Types of Firearms licenses required for armourers and their associates:

Also when listing types of firearms and even malfunction, I think picking a pic of a gun for that specific type of firing mechanism. Bolt action - 1903, Lever action - Winchester or the 1887, semi auto, etc.

Also remember to post about what is a clip and what is a mag and that the Garand and bolt action rifles do have a magazine, but point out that they are internal.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”

Tags
request info