imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Al-Qaeda being the invaders makes no sense. The only way they would invade is to bomb a few places with car bombs and maybe throw a few planes into buildings but they could never to a full scale invasion. Neither could the Taliban.

Also, North Korea you say?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homefront_(video_game)
Old 11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Still kinda stupid idea. North Korea is even less likely since it's small as hell, less population than the United States. It's navy and air force is laughable compared to the US. Even with nukes, the worse that can happen is that North Korea is a smothering black heap from retaliatory strikes than an invading nation.

It's even less likely than China or Russia. At least with those guys, they have a vast army and reputation.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM

I don't see North Korea invading the U.S., at least not on it's own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Still kinda stupid idea. North Korea is even less likely since it's small as hell, less population than the United States. It's navy and air force is laughable compared to the US..
Not really, they actually have the 4th largest Army in the world and quite a sizeable airforce with modern aircraft like the MiG 29 Fulcrum. -far from laughable

Their Navy however is not a blue water navy.....so yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
It's even less likely than China or Russia. At least with those guys, they have a vast army and reputation.

China has the largest army in the world, However Russia has the 8th largest army in the world ;while North Korea has the 4th largest army in the world.
I do not think "reputation" would factor in when the bullets start flying and the bombs start dropping.

North Korean Army is much larger than the Russian Army.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 11-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 PM

Thank you for giving some logic behind my North Korea therory. It could be possible for a invasion if they were backed up by other communist countries like Cuba, Laos, or Vietnam.

Last edited by Swordfish941; 11-02-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 PM

North Korea has shitty technology. And as I said, a invasion on American soil is just ridiculous.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I don't see North Korea invading the U.S., at least not on it's own.

Not really, they actually have the 4th largest Army in the world and quite a sizeable airforce with modern aircraft like the MiG 29 Fulcrum. -far from laughable

Their Navy however is not a blue water navy.....so yeah

China has the largest army in the world, However Russia has the 8th largest army in the world ;while North Korea has the 4th largest army in the world.
I do not think "reputation" would factor in when the bullets start flying and the bombs start dropping.

North Korean Army is much larger than the Russian Army.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
Thank you for iving some logic behind my North Korea therory. It could be possible for a invasion if they were backed up by other communist countries like Cuba, Laos, or Vietnam.
Sorry, but...no. Nobody can ever invade the U.S. and defeat us militarily on this side of the globe. It's not just an issue of technology or military size; it has more to do with geography.

Because America has two huge oceans on either side, and a large land mass with abundant natural transportation routes (allowing quick response deployment of defense forces), you would need two things to invade America - (1.) a Navy with MANY carriers, and (2.) the ability to have air superiority (if you're invading by sea, #2 is impossible without #1). Even put together, Russia and China and the other rogue states have neither of these. Russia is looking to deploy about 5 carriers by the next decade, while China is building its first two. That's pathetic. If you don't possess these capabilities, you can't even begin to think about putting troops on the ground. Even if Russia and China did manage to increase their capabilities so that they could create some huge armada to invade the U.S., they'd still be at a huge disadvantage. The continental U.S. land mass is too large, and our forces are too widely dispersed. If they invaded the West Coast, the East Coast, and the Gulf of Mexico simultaneously, they'd still be sitting dicks for all of our air power based further into the country, stuff that they could never hit. There's just too much American control of the skies no matter what they do or how many troops they send.

The classic work on this problem, which I read as an undergraduate, is by a guy named Nicholas Spykman. He was writing about the possibility of American invasion by the Germans and Japanese in WWII, so obviously, his work is dated. But the main thing to keep in mind is that unlike the Russians and Chinese today, the Germans and Japanese did have naval capabilities (including lots of carriers) that were as good as ours for that time period. And even then, Spykman concluded that invading America by sea would be impossible for them - for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Oh, yes, and did I mentioned the other things you're forgetting?

(1.) You're assuming that Russia and China (who managed to become enemies even when they were both still communist, mind you) would see mutual interests in getting rid of us. Even though America is China's biggest export customer.

(2.) You seem to think Russia and China would risk nuclear war - even though American missiles already hold Russia hostage and could easily do the same to China.

(3.) You're forgetting that Russia and China would have to commit just about all of their forces to one area, even though American forces are all across the globe and can easily threaten Russia and China while they're over-extended.

(4.) You're assuming that nobody in the whole world - in Europe, in Latin America, or Asia - would support us, even though 90% of the world depends on us in some way that is extremely vital to their national interests. The Europeans may be reluctant about supporting us in Afghanistan and Iraq, but you'd be surprised at how they'd react if they thought they might lose us. And they'd most likely start by attacking our enemies while over-extended - for instance, if North Korea sent its forces to help invade the U.S., don't you think South Korea would use that opportunity to attack the North? Don't you think that communist/totalitarian/whatever leaders would consider this?

Last edited by MT2008; 11-02-2009 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

BTW, I forgot to mention that when the original "Red Dawn" came out, a Red invasion would have been even LESS likely. Before 1985, the Russians' only aircraft carriers were the Kiev class, which were tiny and couldn't fly anything except short-range jump jets and helicopters. Their first aircraft carrier capable of flying capable offensive fighters like the MiG-29K and Su-33 was the Admiral Kuznetsov, which was launched in 1985. Even then, the MiG-29K and Su-33 weren't in service at the time (they weren't until after the Cold War ended), so they wouldn't have had air superiority fighters capable of taking on our F-15s and F-16s.

And as I've said already, you'd need LOTS of aircraft carriers, with LOTS of air superiority fighters, to even think about invading the U.S. So, even at the time "Red Dawn" was in theaters and the Ruskies still hated our guts more than they do today, your chances of seeing a Soviet invasion of the U.S. were about .0__________01% (insert infinitely more zeros in the blank space).
Old 11-02-2009, 01:35 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia:
Homefront is set in a near future America in 2027 when a now-nuclear armed Korean People's Army invades the USA, defeating the United States Army and reducing it to nothing from the superpower it once was. The game is written by John Milius the writer of Apocalypse Now and Red Dawn.
No surprise there. Milius is a talented filmmaker, and as I've said already, I enjoy "Red Dawn" as much as anyone. But an invasion of the continental U.S. is a geographic and strategic impossibility.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Thanks MT, that must have taken you a lot of energy to put down. More than what I can do. I guess US citizens today are more worried about the government suddenly becoming too corrupt and taking away basic rights like the right to bear arms, though that is most certainly an impossibility right next to being invaded

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Wow, how could I have ever known? Boy, those NKs really taught us... Wait, that's a video game! I assure you, defeating the US Army (or the US military as a whole) is much harder than the stroke of a pen on paper.

As far as citing a video game as proof...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman