imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-27-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Ha ha, true.
I just want to get smacked in the face in first person. It would be particularly fun.
That would be so funny, seeing Desert Eagle video game noobs pick up their "ultimate combat handgun", only to have the recoil fling it back in their faces...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-27-2009, 07:10 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Having fired both a 357 mag Desert eagle, and a 50, I think the last thing I'd call them is a paper wieght. Like anything, a tool is only as good as the craftsman using it.

Now, back on topic, if I were building guns for a sci-fi flick (and what do you know, I have) I'm partial to using clamshells to help hide the profile of the actual firearm.

Battlestar Galactica used clamshells for the first couple of seasons, and I thought that was pretty cool.

I-Robot also used revolvers hidden inside shells, as well as a PPK for spooners back-up.

Judge Dredd, while being a crap film had some cool guns in it. Same with Pluto Nash. Some of those guns had a cool look IMHO.

Blade Runner hid it's revolver inside the action and magwell of a steyr SL, and it's grip in a custom build.

Constantine has a great custom shotgun all tricked out and hidden.

Aliens use of metal shells around a thompson was pretty damn cool. The 870 in the spas cage was nothing less than inspired.

The first Starship Troopers also did a fine job of hiding the real guns inside shells too. of course, it's the dreaded "bullpup" style though, which never bothered me.

I think the trick is keeping the guns from feeling like toys. The hero pulse rifles weighed in at 30 pounds or something, so they used lighter materials for starship troopers, and lighter base guns.

I've also had occasion to just add on custom pieces to older style weapons like derringers, webley's, and smith model 3's to create a certain look or feel to the firearms.

And when I'm working with directors and producers who don't know anything about guns, I try to guide them to the best choices, and make them feel like it was their idea all along, and happily give them all the credit if it saves me headaches and makes the actors look cool. I'm more concerned about the end product than anything else.

I've had some very good luck with directors and producers though.

Last edited by ShootingJames; 05-27-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:24 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

I forgot to mention the guns from Serenity! Great flick for guns.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:48 PM

The movie "Timecop" had nice looking pistols, and shotguns (which were disguised Desert Eagle pistols), I can't remember who designed their look, maybe Ron Cobb? Pluto Nash had some great looking pistols, which unlike "Timecop" don't seem to have appeared in other productions. I just wish that there were photos of the PN pistols where you could get a good look at them. For most recent s.f. movies you can find photos of the props, and drawings, but not PN.

David.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:44 AM

Man, when I see what they did to the Thompson in Aliens, I die a little inside.
I was totally okay with the messed up Ruger bullpup used in Starship Troopers, mainly because it had an awesome name.
"Morita." Rolls off the tongue. Unlike "pulse rifle." So bland.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacallyChallenged View Post
Man, when I see what they did to the Thompson in Aliens, I die a little inside.
I was totally okay with the messed up Ruger bullpup used in Starship Troopers, mainly because it had an awesome name.
"Morita." Rolls off the tongue. Unlike "pulse rifle." So bland.
The M1A1 Thompson inside the case was fine other than the wood pistol grip had grooves in it and the rear sight was removed. It was easily restored back to the original configuration after the show. Same goes for about 95% of the Sci-Fi mockups.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:25 AM

I can't say I dislike the M4, G36s, and MP5Ks in Doom. The movie might not have been good to everyone else, but it was enjoyable to me personally.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 AM

IMHO I like box type guns, uzi, thompson just to name a few, easy to clam it or add parts.

Like propmaster mentioned, it all depends on the director.

I have had one who wouldn't listen and started to stamp his feet, he won the battle but I won the war as it looked really bad on camera, atleast he manned up and said I was right in front of the whole crew.