imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 07-21-2011, 06:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
why do you care so much? You know as well as anyone that Hollywood is filled with anti-gun liberals who are probably inclined to hate IMFDB for what it represents and the types of people who contribute to it (conservative, pro-gun, pro-military).
You missed the point completely. Yes, Hollywood is full of anti gun libs, but we were never talking about them. I don't care what the Liberals think. But lessening the 'gravitas' of the site actually makes MY job harder. Did you even realize how difficult it was was convince other armorers initially to let me photograph Screen used guns for 'this resource of movie/gun trivia on the net". This includes collectors who have rare weapons which are hard to get. IMFDB almost (and I mean ALMOST) was well known enough for someone to offer a "PRESS PASS" to the SHOT SHOW just to allow us (mainly me ) to take exclusive pics of new weapons for IMFDB's use. Of course, one look at an old Oliviera rant nixed that right away..... About once a year, I try to get a boatload of new custom IMFDB pics. Though I am not sure of the impact of immature rants, it surely cannot help.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 PM

Why would we want to remove profanity from this wiki? So as long as it's not unnecessary, I think it's no worse than the various screenshots showing characters in films getting shot and possibly killed by the various weapons on this wiki.

And sometimes profanity helps a scene work. I think the final shootout by Al Pacino in the end of Scarface would be far less effective if he didn't use profanity the way he did. Are we going to pretend that the films we're adding screenshots to don't have the profanity they do by censoring them?
Old 07-23-2011, 03:33 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
IMFDB almost (and I mean ALMOST) was well known enough for someone to offer a "PRESS PASS" to the SHOT SHOW just to allow us (mainly me ) to take exclusive pics of new weapons for IMFDB's use. Of course, one look at an old Oliviera rant nixed that right away.....
Seriously? You never mentioned this to me before (or did you)?

Anyway, nobody here is advocating a tolerance for behavior and language like that demonstrated by Oliviera. (Though it may be a moot point because he hasn't been on IMFDB in over a year, so I think it's safe to say he's gone for good, and he was the only user whose language was becoming a problem on the main site.) We all agree that we don't want the site to become a profanity free-for-all. I just don't think we need to worry so much about profanity in the movie quotes section; we should consider whether we can keep profanity in those quotes (which should not reflect poorly on us) while still keeping it off the rest of the Wiki.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-23-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Seriously? You never mentioned this to me before (or did you)?

Anyway, nobody here is advocating a tolerance for behavior and language like that demonstrated by Oliviera. (Though it may be a moot point because he hasn't been on IMFDB in over a year, so I think it's safe to say he's gone for good, and he was the only user whose language was becoming a problem on the main site.) We all agree that we don't want the site to become a profanity free-for-all. I just don't think we need to worry so much about profanity in the movie quotes section; we should consider whether we can keep profanity in those quotes (which should not reflect poorly on us) while still keeping it off the rest of the Wiki.
Ah yes, but there are lots of screencaps on some movie pages which are there SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE of allowing the page maker to post some profanity laced quote. Now that's just stupid. I don't need to re-live the movie. The page is here to identify the gun, not relive the F bomb quotes that the characters are spouting. I say if it's going to be a problem. REMOVE ALL the quotes on the individual movie pages. Too many members just love to 'showcase' the f=bomb quotes on scenes that they love. But that's NOT the reason why this site exists.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
REMOVE ALL the quotes on the individual movie pages.
Oh come on, there's no point having a Dirty Harry page if you can't put That Quote under That Image. As the saying goes, "everything in moderation." I'd agree that excessive quoting or using images just to swear under them is a bad thing, but I don't think that's particularly common and it can easily be discouraged.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
...excessive quoting or using images just to swear under them is a bad thing...
I see it a bit. Just putting in 'cool scenes' with lots of attitude from a film just to quote the "F*** you!' comedic phrase, does not belong on the movie page. Does it help identify the gun? No. Now I'm not against general quotes or mild (which means little) trivia or background info which helps the viewer's educational experience. The F bomb quotes aren't an educational experience. They're there just for laughs. Sure it may be a classic funny line from the film. But so what? That's not what the page is for.

Movie REVIEW pages use quotes from the movie because they are showing 'slices' of the movie experience. IMFDB is here for one primary goal, to showcase and prove what firearms were used. Minor behind the scenes or filmmaking trivia is okay, but a screenshot which is there JUST to showcase a smart ass line of dialogue is not.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 AM

I just removed a Sexist remark from the Serenity page. It was a comment on a picture taken durring the chase scene that sugests that women are bad drivers. We don't need that kind of garbage on this site.

Besides I don't like getting punched by attractive women who have been upset by those sorts of things.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:33 AM

I'm all for keeping particularly notable quotes, or possibly if a character decides to gush over whatever weapon it is they're carrying, but using quotes solely for inserting profanity needs to be hammered.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.

Last edited by The Wierd It; 08-09-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I still think you're overstating this a little: from a site search, the word "fuck" appears in 17 articles out of, at last count, 7,480. Of those, 3,168 are media pages (categories movie, videogame, TV and anime), meaning 0.5% of media pages contain those words (perhaps the most surprising part of this is that none of those 17 are videogames). Of those, very few obviously have shots chosen just because they contain swearing; in some cases, the quotes are placed on the only shots actually containing the weapon (eg Magnum Force). In all the ones I looked at, the quotes match up to good shots of the weapon itself. In a lot of cases the language has been there for years without causing comment.

I have to say it mostly concerns me because I tend to screencap videogames with the subtitles on, and don't want to either add black boxes to screenshots (which would look ridiculous) or throw out perfectly good images just because they have "bad" subtitles on them. The same would apply to subtitled foreign movies and anime.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 08-17-2011 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I just removed a Sexist remark from the Serenity page. It was a comment on a picture taken durring the chase scene that sugests that women are bad drivers. We don't need that kind of garbage on this site.

Besides I don't like getting punched by attractive women who have been upset by those sorts of things.
That was a joke. As in, humor. How is humor garbage? Why do you have a problem with that?