imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM
MoviePropMaster2008's Avatar
MoviePropMaster2008 MoviePropMaster2008 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,178
Default I need clarification on the posting of calibers

Several new members have queried me on this.

The practice of putting the caliber on the description of the photo and then listing it for the most part on ALL of the descriptions of the guns for the screencaps. Some members don't. And some fight with me when I put it on a page. I think it helps to have the caliber of the firearm listed somewhere in the description. When visually scanning the page, it reinforces the caliber (or caliber range) of weapon being discussed. But then, people's taste may have changed.

Heck, the only reason I did this and enforced it was because that's the way IMFDB pages WERE back when this site was founded.

Lacking any other rule I default to this rule : if that was the way Bunni made the pages back in 2007 then that's the way it's gonna be.

But I'm not the sole gatekeeper of the FORMATTING preferences of the pages.

But we can get some public input and make changes. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The failed state of California
Posts: 2,162
Default

I vote put the caliber in the example pics and that's it. I don't feel it necessary to put calibers anywhere else unless it's a particular bit of trivia.
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Evil Tim's Avatar
Evil Tim Evil Tim is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The surface of the sun
Posts: 740
Default

I'm not a fan of it myself: for any caption which goes into more detail than "X is holding a Y - (calibre)" it looks weird. I've found trying to write captions for Stealth (which was done the old way) that it can be tricky to get the information you want to put in the caption across and still end it with a calibre note without making it sound like an actor or a piece of scenery can fire 5.56mm NATO rounds.

Besides, the calibre should stay the same in any screencap of the same weapon, so it's a bit redundant saying it in every caption.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Heck, the only reason I did this and enforced it was because that's the way IMFDB pages WERE back when this site was founded.

Lacking any other rule I default to this rule : if that was the way Bunni made the pages back in 2007 then that's the way it's gonna be.
I'm not sure what you mean. I've never seen anyone do this except you, and I never understood why you felt a need to do it. I don't particularly mind that you do, but it's hardly necessary to include the caliber of the weapon in the movie screencap description because the photo of the weapon has it. So I do not see a need for a rule requiring members to mention the caliber of the gun in the screencap description, unless they are commenting about how the bore size/markings identify the weapon variant (i.e. as a Glock 17 vs. a Glock 22).

That being said, I do wish people would be a lot more careful about including the proper weapon picture and description on their movie pages. I can't count the number of times I've seen people add the weapon pic but not include the full description already on the gun page (i.e. "Glock 17 - 9mm" instead of "Glock 17 (2nd Generation) - 9x19mm"). I also get annoyed when people aren't using the correct picture of a particular model (i.e. putting a picture of a 3rd Gen Glock 19 when the gun used in the movie is clearly a 2nd Gen Glock 17). That sort of carelessness needs to be dissuaded in the Rules, IMO. But I guess it's also a subject for a different topic...
__________________
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the hogs of war.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 PM
MoviePropMaster2008's Avatar
MoviePropMaster2008 MoviePropMaster2008 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I've never seen anyone do this except you, and I never understood why you felt a need to do it.
No I was just copying what the format was when I JOINED. I didn't create that format. There were TONS of pages created in 2007 (many of which have been revamped) but that WAS the format of the time. I joined in early 2008 (hence my username) and all I was doing was copying what Bunni was doing.

If no one cares, I personally have no problem with just putting the caliber on the gun pic.

I repeat, I did not originate that formatting style.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-13-2011, 05:05 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
No I was just copying what the format was when I JOINED. I didn't create that format. There were TONS of pages created in 2007 (many of which have been revamped) but that WAS the format of the time. I joined in early 2008 (hence my username) and all I was doing was copying what Bunni was doing.

If no one cares, I personally have no problem with just putting the caliber on the gun pic.

I repeat, I did not originate that formatting style.
I don't want to start an argument or anything, but I honestly just don't remember anyone doing this besides you. And we've both been on the site for about the same length of time (I first joined in March 2008, and you joined a few months after me).

When I created my very first page for IMFDB (The Corruptor), I looked at pages that had been done by Bunni, Alienqueen, and Orca for code/format references. While I didn't get the format exactly right on my first try, I know for sure that I did not put the caliber of the weapons in the screencap description, and neither did they.
__________________
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the hogs of war.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-13-2011 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Gunmaster45's Avatar
Gunmaster45 Gunmaster45 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York, USA
Posts: 1,779
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Several new members have queried me on this.

The practice of putting the caliber on the description of the photo and then listing it for the most part on ALL of the descriptions of the guns for the screencaps. Some members don't. And some fight with me when I put it on a page. I think it helps to have the caliber of the firearm listed somewhere in the description. When visually scanning the page, it reinforces the caliber (or caliber range) of weapon being discussed. But then, people's taste may have changed.

Heck, the only reason I did this and enforced it was because that's the way IMFDB pages WERE back when this site was founded.

Lacking any other rule I default to this rule : if that was the way Bunni made the pages back in 2007 then that's the way it's gonna be.

But I'm not the sole gatekeeper of the FORMATTING preferences of the pages.

But we can get some public input and make changes. What do you guys think?
Been on this site for little over three years, and finally, FINALLY, it is explained why you do this. Wow, I'm such an ass, maybe I should have asked.

I never really saw the point of such repetition, I personally think the caliber should only be listed in the stock photo of the gun, not the screencaps. But if I ever added to pages you did, I always did the captions that way to stay true to what I thought was your format. lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 AM
MoviePropMaster2008's Avatar
MoviePropMaster2008 MoviePropMaster2008 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Been on this site for little over three years, and finally, FINALLY, it is explained why you do this. Wow, I'm such an ass, maybe I should have asked.

I never really saw the point of such repetition, I personally think the caliber should only be listed in the stock photo of the gun, not the screencaps. But if I ever added to pages you did, I always did the captions that way to stay true to what I thought was your format. lol

Well, being that I pretty much know that BUNNI doesn't care nor mind, he trusts the membership to do what's best for the site, I now officially disconnect myself from that practice. If no one else cares, then I have no problem with no longer doing it (or changing it). Again, I was just doing what I saw BUNNI doing. Or at least that was the common format for the sample pages I happened to see and use as the 'template'. Remember back in the early days, we were struggling to find a common formatting style. IT seemed like every new Mod introduced some sort of format style without ever asking anyone about it.

So that particular practice is officially 'dead'. The rule apparently is: Caliber listed at the end of the gun image and perhaps part of the text introducing the section. All Screencaps no longer need to have the caliber listed at the end of the first sentence.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.