imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-08-2009, 03:50 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
Glory and Gettysburg are great movies. Zulu too. And John, i don't really think the Union are always the bad guys.
They typically tend to be shown that way. In The Outlaw Josey Wales, in Dances With Wolvers (Kostner was an exception, but everyone else was against him), The Good Bad Ugly (Angel Eyes and his thugs). There's more but I can't think of them.

It just seems like sometimes filmakers tip the favor to the confederates too often. Not to offend southerners, but the confederates were kinda the "bad guys" of that war, since they wanted slavery. And that's wrong.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:22 AM

Peopel wer ecomplaining about how the souh was portrayed as racist bad guys so they try to show "the struggle for states rights" and get all the viewpoints, then notice there being partial to the south, lol. Trying to please everyone.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
It just seems like sometimes filmakers tip the favor to the confederates too often. Not to offend southerners, but the confederates were kinda the "bad guys" of that war, since they wanted slavery. And that's wrong.
That's a common viewpoint, but the North didn't want to end slavery itself, though it was considered a haven by abolitionists. The North had hinted that the freedom of slaves was to come, through ceasing expansion of the slave trade in new territories, but they were ultimately only freed because of inflamed politicians trying both to cripple and piss off their enemies, more enflamed politicians,Southern of course. Their freedom was a stroke of dumb luck which made the North look like they were advocating the end to this the entire time, as well as the "good guys" to the rest of the world, which was more or less acting on the cool new fad of freeing slaves.

All in all, abolition just sort of happened, and was not a major issue involving the war itself, though the (imaginary, in some cases) contrast between Northerners and Southerners is often portrayed in film work because........ it's easier to understand than what actually happened. It's also a pity that the dumb luck that freed the slaves wouldn't actually free them for another hundred or so years. Some say we are still in a "Second Reconstruction", but you'll learn all of this jibbery joo in your High School history class too .
Old 08-08-2009, 09:11 PM
IMFDB Admin

Hopefully. I'll I've learned about for the past two years is "Global" history, which is all the boring ancient stuff. I like US History much better.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:40 PM

In the last school years you are going to learn all about the kick ass stuff. Like the World Wars, the Korean War, the Berlin Airlift, the entire Cold War, the Vietnam War and all other fun stuff. And if you history teacher is like mine he will let you help him with the class. And if he is witty like mine he will let you subtly insult the dumb members of the Class.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
Hopefully. I'll I've learned about for the past two years is "Global" history, which is all the boring ancient stuff. I like US History much better.
I'm the same way. Once I entered 11th grade I was able to take US history, and while my teacher wasn't the best at appealing to all of us, I gathered some pretty good information from time to time.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 PM

Modern national and international history much better than ancient history.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:13 AM
IMFDB Admin

Sadly the history teacher I was supposed to have this year retired. Some considered him the best, and I thought he was awesome because he talked about guns a lot, based on what I chatted with him on in my study hall last year. I watched "Bridge on the River Kwai" in his study hall and we had a chat about the Vickers Maxim, and how they had to smack the base to turn the gun on the tripod. Great stuff.

He let me borrow the Four Feathers and Hotel Rwanda movies to screencap. I'm really upset he's not going to be my teacher. I'll get dumped with some rookie dumbass I'll hate now. Sucks.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:36 PM

My History teacher is cool too. Sadly the Brazilian Educational system makes only the 9th grade students study and learn about the 20th Century and the 21th Century. Sucks.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'll get dumped with some rookie dumbass I'll hate now.

I had a first year teacher end up being one of my favorites, dont droip your hopes already.,