imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 AM

I saw Machete friday. Meh

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 PM

Sorry, but those soldiers in Halo aren't Spartans and never will be.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Sorry, but those soldiers in Halo aren't Spartans and never will be.
Oh, so they aren't apprentice-fucking warriors who would get crushed if they encountered Vikings?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Oh, so they aren't apprentice-fucking warriors who would get crushed if they encountered Vikings?
First off, there's no concrete proof backing up the "apprentice-fucking", as you so eloquently put it.

As far as getting "crushed" by Vikings goes, the Spartan army was long gone by the time Viking expansion started. The earliest recorded Viking raids occurred in the late 7th Century AD, whereas Sparta ceased to be an independent power around 800 years earlier when they were forced into the Achaean League in 146 BC after a disastrous defeat by a combined Achaean/Macedonian force.

The final recorded military action by the Spartans was after the Roman defeat at Adrianople in 378 AD when a Spartan phalanx met and defeated a force of raiding Visigoths.

So, no, the Spartans were never crushed by the Vikings.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 09-23-2010, 07:31 PM

I stand corrected. They were Pederasts.
Quote:
Engaged in pederasty (what we would now call pedophilia).
Older men were expected to have erotic loving relationships with boys (and were fined if they didn’t). This was also a mentor relationship.
With the Spartans, it was a “chaste” pederasty – actual coitus was not allowed, but other behavior was.
Even in this, self-control was paramount.
http://www.slideshare.net/dewert/52-athens-and-sparta

Quote:
Sparta, another Dorian polis, is thought to be the first city to practice athletic nudity, and one of the first to formalize pederasty. [Thomas F. Scanlon, "The Dispersion of Pederasty and the Athletic Revolution in Sixth-Century BC Greece," in "Same-Sex Desire and Love in Greco-Roman Antiquity and in the Classical Tradition of the West," ed. B. C. Verstraete and V. Provencal, Harrington Park Press, 2005, pp.64-70] The Spartans believed that the love of an older, accomplished aristocrat for an adolescent was essential to his formation as a free citizen. The "agoge", the education of the ruling class, was thus founded on pederastic relationships required of each citizen. [Erich Bethe,"Die Dorische Knabenliebe: ihre Ethik und ihre Idee," 1907, 441, 444]

Many ancient writers held that Spartan pederasty was chaste, though still erotic. [Xenophon, "Constitution of the Lacedaemonians," II.13-14] Plutarch also describes the relationships as chaste, and states that it was as unthinkable for a lover to sexually consummate a relationship with his beloved as for a father to do so with his own son. [Cicero, "De Rep.," iv. 4] Aelian goes even farther, stating that if any couple succumbed to temptation and indulged in carnal relations, they would have to redeem the affront to the honor of Sparta by either going into exile or taking their own lives. [Aelian, "Var. Hist.," III.12]

The lover was responsible for the boy's training. Pederasty and military training were intimately connected in Sparta, as in many other cities. The Spartans, claims Athenaeus [Athenaeus of Naucratis, "The Deipnosophists," XIII: Concerning Women] sacrificed to Eros before every battle.
http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1583741

Old 09-25-2010, 02:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

How did this turned into a debate about ancient gay Greeks?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-25-2010, 03:51 PM

I just got reach, my first halo game. What I dont get is how its 500 years in the future, weve colonized planets with magacities, and travel through subspace fast in huge battlecruisers, but the guns are mybe 20 years advanced from now at the most. And the spartan armor that can survive re-entry into the atmosphere but you drownd in water right off.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-25-2010, 03:56 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I just got reach, my first halo game. What I dont get is how its 500 years in the future, weve colonized planets with magacities, and travel through subspace fast in huge battlecruisers, but the guns are mybe 20 years advanced from now at the most. And the spartan armor that can survive re-entry into the atmosphere but you drownd in water right off.
According to the Halo wiki, the assault rifle and DMR still use 7.62mm NATO.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well if you were expecting laser guns and blaster rifles, it seems human weapons hasn't changed much or really need to change I guess.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Humans do have the Spartan laser though.