imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 08-24-2009, 03:36 AM

Default Ok, even I have to admit I've gone too far this time...

But I'm going to do it anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0322.jpg (69.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 08-24-2009, 03:48 AM

What is that?
They let you own Anti-Tank Rifles in Canada???
Old 08-24-2009, 03:49 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Dude, you keep making us Americans look bad. We're supposed the ones who own that kind of stuff. Canadians are supposed to scoff at us for being gun nuts. (Remember that "Kids in the Hall" joke?)

Very nice find...I'm guessing it was pretty expensive?
Old 08-24-2009, 04:27 AM

That is a Russian PTRD-41 in 14.5 x 114mm, and legally it is no different from a hunting rifle. Realistically, who's going to commit a crime with an 8 foot long single shot?

It isn't cheap, and the shipping is gonna hurt too, but its still not the most expensive gun I've ever bought by a decent margin. The best part is it comes with 15 live rounds and 3 dummies - the live rounds have been converted to .50BMG primers so they're reloadable.

I actually don't remember that particular bit, but if you remind me I probably would. I used to watch that show every night. In fact, oddly enough there's a Master Corporal in the battalion Sigs section who could be Dave Foley's little brother.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 PM

Well, I still don't have the PTRD - once it comes I'll explain all the hoops I had to jump through to get it. In the meantime, here's some guns I haven't posted before:

I finally got my Chamelot-Delvigne Mle. 1873 cleaned up. When it arrived it was covered in surface rust from years of neglect - not surprising on a gun that was issued in the white. An afternoon's worth of work with CLR and 0000 steel wool and it's looking presentable again. No finish to be destroyed and there was very little pitting under the rust.

I also received my Canadian-contract Smth & Wesson Military & Police in .38 S&W. I already have a wartime Lend-Lease pre-Victory with the 5" barrel, plain grips and US markings, but this is a pre-1941 contract gun out of commercial production. It has the 6" barrel, chequered grips and deep bluing. This was Canada's main service pistol during WW2 until Hi Power production caught up in 1945 - we never actually used the British .38 Enfield.

In case anyone noticed the lesser quality background than usual, it's because my barrack box and army blanket are already being shipped to Afghanistan.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
I actually don't remember that particular bit, but if you remind me I probably would. I used to watch that show every night. In fact, oddly enough there's a Master Corporal in the battalion Sigs section who could be Dave Foley's little brother.
Sorry I forgot to respond to this. There's a sketch where somebody asks him if he's an American, and he says, "No, I'm Canadian. It's like an American, but without the gun."
Old 09-15-2009, 08:55 PM

This one just same today - a nice June 1919 dated M1903 Mk.I Springfield. It's in a WW2-era scant stock with stamped buttplate, but otherwise original and in good shootable condition. It's a Mk.I, so it has the cut for the famous Pederson device, though of course didn't come with it - most of them were busted up for scrap in 1920 and survivors go for 20K+. Mk.Is are quite rare, but there's a very disproportionate number in Canada. Springfield's in general are rare up here, but it seems like 1 out of 3 or 4 you see is a Mk.I.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:13 AM

What a beauty.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 12-07-2009, 08:12 AM

You know, I really planned to not buy any guns while over here, but then this came up and I just couldn't say no. Espescially when the dealer offered to not ship it till I get home and gave me a 10% serviceman's discount.

For comparison, the last Roth Steyr I saw for sale up here was in worse condition and almost 3 times the price.

Interesting facts about the Roth-Steyr 1907 - it was the first automatic pistol adopted by a major military power, it was only for issue to cavalry (non-cavalry officers carried the Steyr 1912, non-cavalry troops carried the Rast-Gasser 1898), it uses a fixed internal magazine like most other Steyr pistols of the era, and it has a Glock-style trigger where the striker is partially cocked before the trigger is pulled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RP035-Steyr-012-L.jpg (26.6 KB, 17 views)