imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 11-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post

That show was anti-gun? Are you talking about the episode where Will gets mugged and shot, but then gets angry at Carlton for carrying a gun?
Yup, specifically because Will reprimands Carlton and gives a speech to him saying using guns are "their" way and that essentially if Carlton used a gun to defend himself he would be bringing himself down to their level.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
ooh...and a real one would be "American Gun".
Actually it sort of showed both sides.

*One of the women in the film buys a gun for protection after her friend is raped.
*The young black gas station attendant gives up his gun after being lectured by his principal but later is attacked by someone with a gun. Afterwards he spraypaints an airsoft gun black for protection.
*Portrays the gun store owner as an honest worker
Old 11-16-2010, 08:55 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades of Columbia View Post
"Lord of War opens with one of the most impressive and provocative credit sequences in recent memory. Adopting a point-of-view perspective, the camera follows a bullet from its manufacture in an American factory to various ports, then across the globe to a small African village where it is placed in the chamber of a pistol and shot through the skull of a young boy."
-AZRickD-

I was speaking for on the front that the US gets more blame on gun issues and that Nato is alway doing heavy pushing on small arms banning. Plus the movie fail to properly inform the mainstream audiences about the deeper issues.
This "AZRickD" obviously doesn't know jack shit about weapons, and was also clearly not paying attention and/or high during the movie. The bullet shown isn't made in an American factory, it's made in a RUSSIAN factory, and it's fired from an AK, not a pistol. Seriously, dude, why on Earth would you trust some retarded leftist critic more than you trust me?

I'm also not sure how this movie blames the U.S., aside from the fact that Yuri Orlov (Cage's character) manages to get off because he has sent arms to authoritarian regimes that also happened to be CIA allies. It is true that during the Cold War, the U.S. supplied weapons to militia groups that probably shouldn't have received them. The movie does make clear that the origin of most of the weapons is from unsecured stocks in the former Soviet Union, not the U.S.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
This "AZRickD" obviously doesn't know jack shit about weapons, and was also clearly not paying attention and/or high during the movie. The bullet shown isn't made in an American factory, it's made in a RUSSIAN factory, and it's fired from an AK, not a pistol. Seriously, dude, why on Earth would you trust some retarded leftist critic more than you trust me?

I'm also not sure how this movie blames the U.S., aside from the fact that Yuri Orlov (Cage's character) manages to get off because he has sent arms to authoritarian regimes that also happened to be CIA allies. It is true that during the Cold War, the U.S. supplied weapons to militia groups that probably shouldn't have received them. The movie does make clear that the origin of most of the weapons is from unsecured stocks in the former Soviet Union, not the U.S.
I did notice the pistol comment instead of the rifle but i thought i would let the dude slide on it...but what ur saying is coming across very logical.

Last edited by Spades of Columbia; 11-16-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:36 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
We talked about this on the IMFDB page for that show. Even though Richard Dean Anderson is/was an HCI/Brady Campaign member, and even though his character in the show refused to use guns, "MacGyver" didn't really have any political statements against guns or gun ownership. That's the difference between it and almost every other movie/TV show we've listed so far.
Sure RDA's MacGuyver character, but what about his character in Stargate. That show is nothing but guns

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 PM

Once again hes an actor, completely different offscreen, credit to him not putting anti gun messages in stargate though, you know he had the chance to and didnt.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 11-16-2010, 10:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

For the record it was a 7.62x39mm bullet loaded into an AK.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5M5qx2xKTo

MacGyver had at least one episode where Mac explained his thoughts on the second amendment, saying that he felt it was about military, not private citizens, and that gun ownership should not be allowed.

But I believe it was discussed in a few episodes. It was more than a plot device.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Sure RDA's MacGuyver character, but what about his character in Stargate. That show is nothing but guns
There is a behind the scenes clip of RDA talking about the guns he used in stargate, and he says "I hate them in real life, but it's fun shooting guns in full auto, but only with blanks."
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootingJames View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5M5qx2xKTo

MacGyver had at least one episode where Mac explained his thoughts on the second amendment, saying that he felt it was about military, not private citizens, and that gun ownership should not be allowed.

But I believe it was discussed in a few episodes. It was more than a plot device.
OK then, that definitely is not cool...we can add "MacGyver" to the list of anti-gun media, if only as an "honorary" member.

But usually, when somebody says "anti-gun" movie, I think of a movie where the entire purpose of the screenplay is to rail against gun ownership and the 2nd Amendment, or where guns are heavily demonized. Movies like "Liberty Stands Still" and "Strapped" epitomize this.