imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM

Hopefully some of the actors who had this as their first major role get on new shows.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I have to admit that I used to be into "The Unit" but didn't really watch much of this last season. It had the same problem that "Ultimate Force" had, which was that it got progressively less realistic while the writing got worse.

I'm starting to think that it's almost impossible to do mil-themed TV shows with longevity.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 AM

Yeah it did seem they cared more about a body count. And cool looking, unrealistic tactics. They would have a supressed rifle or subgun for 100 yard shots, not a kimber.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 AM

CBS is now saying they want to rack in young viewers and they thought everyone watching The Unit was old.....They want shows with attractive young people and lots of flash....whatever show replaces The Unit is an automatic boycott for me.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:05 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

The actors on the Unit weren't that old, say for Robert Patrick and even Dennis Haysbert has that mature solid look to him. How's that bad? Does CBS need more soaps and teen dramas? I though networks nowadays are beyond the usual teen highschool or college bullshit shows.

But anyway, one thing I noticed the Unit being a bit more genetic is the weapons loadout of their M4. In the beginning to the 3rd season, we see their M4s with little accessories on them, but when we got to season 4, suddenly they had...i forgot the name of those boxes, AIM or AQ something. The laser aiming devices we see all the time, foregrips, and sights. It used to be just a ACOG or some other kind of sight and that's it. Now their gear had one too many attachments on them.

The epsiodes where we see just handguns and hitting a target at a distant where a rifle would have trouble and when the enemy targets are moving is very unbelievable.

It is a shame to see the Unit gone, but it's a surprise it lasted this long. The first season was only meant to be a mid season replacement with only 13 episodes.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-22-2009, 07:27 PM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

I'm going to miss the show because it was probably the only weekly TV program that had it's characters making very hard choices, and didn't go overboard on the drama. Well, until this season anyway.

I mean that on the soldier side of the show. I just ignored, and often FF'd through the crap with the wives.

There were some great storylines where the operators had to do terrible things but managed to maintain a heroic presence.

This last season, after the unit had it's cover with the phony airplane company, and most of the nonsense with Grey's "wife" was less than great.

Still, I'll miss the show.

There is always the military channel.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
IMFDB Admin

The studio suits want MORE REALITY TV, like "Big Brother" "Survivor" etc. They want the hip young KIDS watching and don't want anyone else. That's pretty much the 'scuttlebutt' around the business.

Television shows that have a narrative and are more expensive to film (all action based shows are more expensive than a 'talky' show that takes place in one location) are ALL endangered species right now.

I know this for a fact. A lot of MY work has been impacted because of all these execs moving into senior positions who LOVE reality TV like "MTV's Real world" and "Pro Wrestling" over everything else.

TV is going to suck even more from now on. Just curious. So a question to our younger members, how many of your peers fall into this vapid category of only liking reality TV shows that deal with 'relationship drama'? (like the Bachelor, etc.?)
Old 05-26-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
TV is going to suck even more from now on. Just curious. So a question to our younger members, how many of your peers fall into this vapid category of only liking reality TV shows that deal with 'relationship drama'? (like the Bachelor, etc.?)
I don't know if 25 is your idea of "younger", but I can't stand reality TV (we get enough reality in real life). I never liked "Real World" and I watched one episode (the very first one) of "Survivor: China" but never watched again after that.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
I don't really know ANYONE who watches that shit. I know I barely watch any myself (I did watch some "American Idol" this season, only because Anoop Desai, one of the contestants, went to high school with me). Even most of the girls I knew in college, who I would think are the biggest demographic for reality shows, actually liked "24" better than "The Bachelor". But then, I went to college with girls who were actually pretty smart.

I think what you said is accurate - talk shows and reality TV are being made more often simply because they're cheaper to make. Most of those shows are considered successful if they have only half a million viewers, whereas a show like "The Unit" needs to have at least 2-3 million viewers to be considered even moderately successful.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:14 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
The actors on the Unit weren't that old, say for Robert Patrick and even Dennis Haysbert has that mature solid look to him.
I've always thought Haysbert was a little too old to play an operator, let alone a Sergeant-Major, period. Not that I'm not a fan of his acting, but the dude's almost 55 in real life. At his age, he should be playing a General or something.

Actually, that's one of my pet peeves about Hollywood in general - pretty much all actors playing U.S. soldiers look way too old to play the ranks they're depicting. Like the "privates" who are always in their 30s...