imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should a page be made for C4 plastic explosives?
Yes 1 10.00%
No 5 50.00%
Undecided 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2013, 06:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to Orca1_9904 Send a message via MSN to Orca1_9904 Send a message via Yahoo to Orca1_9904
Question Page for C4 plastic explosives?

Given how many pages for films, video games, etc. have entries for C4 plastic explosives, should a page for this be made? I was ready to proceed with making such a page, but given the controversy on some explosive devices such as pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails, I wanted to check in with my fellow admins and get input on this subject.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think if it was just loose C4, I would have to vote no, since that opens the door for sticks of dynamite. If it was an actual type-classified weapon, however, then I think that might be justified.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to Orca1_9904 Send a message via MSN to Orca1_9904 Send a message via Yahoo to Orca1_9904

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I think if it was just loose C4, I would have to vote no, since that opens the door for sticks of dynamite. If it was an actual type-classified weapon, however, then I think that might be justified.
How about the M112 Demolition Charge? Several video game articles on the site as well as the page for Battle: Los Angeles have it listed.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 PM
IMFDB Admin

I went for undecided, but am kind of leaning towards yes for accurately depicted M112 demo charges. Aside from the ones you mentioned I know that there is also a correctly modelled and labelled M112 charge used in season 6 of Supernatural which I have capped but not got around to sorting and uploading yet (however when it is being moulded out of the wrapper it is black like Semtex-10 rather than the off-white of C4).

The only thing that puts me off of making a page for it is that there will never be a real M112 charge used in a film, they will always be mock ups of potentially variable quality. I am also slightly wary that people will identify and block of explosive that is vaguely rectangular as an M112.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:50 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Accord to the logs for "M112 Demolition Charge," it was deleted by MPM for not being eligible, so you may have to convince him. It appears that vast majority of appearances are in video games, so I think the prop issue may be moot.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think the general opinion last time was that explosive charges could go on that "other weapons" page for things which don't qualify for their own page (along with things like artillery), but we'd have to figure out how that's actually going to be formatted first if we make it.

Manufactured, mass-produced explosive charges with distinctive markings certainly aren't the same as the Yosemite Sam "stick of dynamite" that isn't really worth IDing for anything but completeness in games, and while obviously in a movie it'll be something like modelling clay, if they've tried to replicate the markings it's worth pointing out that it's a real thing.

It's particularly amusing when videogames copy text without thinking and you end up with explosive charges with the word "INERT" on them.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Accord to the logs for "M112 Demolition Charge," it was deleted by MPM for not being eligible, so you may have to convince him. It appears that vast majority of appearances are in video games, so I think the prop issue may be moot.
There are a few live action things that have corrctly made props for M112 charges, it isn't just video games. Just going by the image usage of the stock M112 image there is Battle: Los Angeles, The Life and Death of Bobby Z and Hawaii Five-0. Here is a cap from season 6 of Supernatural that I haven't made the page for yet which also has a correct M112 prop:

All of these appearances use modern post early 90s version of the M112 with the "with taggent" on the wrapper (a taggent is a volatile inert with a distinctive "scent" that is added to explosives to make them more detectable by security devices and dogs to try and prevent terrorist use), with the exception of the Battle: LA one which is the old style with only two lines of markings.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:38 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Is it just a block of C4? Do you still need separate blasting caps or is it all built in?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:06 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

It's almost always seen with a detonator rigged up to it (usually like this one as seen in MGS4) but it doesn't actually contain one by default.

Incidentally if the police knock on my door asking why I'm looking up information on C4 and remote detonators, I'll tell them it was your idea. :P

EDIT: This is interesting:

http://www.inertproducts.com/inc/sdetail/734/5360

It looks like fake charges could be use actual M112 sleeves from production overruns.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 07-22-2013 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post

Incidentally if the police knock on my door asking why I'm looking up information on C4 and remote detonators, I'll tell them it was your idea. :P
Ugh, don't get me started. That's the last time I name my fantasy football team "Death to America."