imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

View Poll Results: Should we allow profanity on the Main Page quotes?
Yes 7 63.64%
No 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2009, 03:26 AM

The censorship we are talking about is in no way professional. When is the last time you saw a movie on TV that included swearing, but had to be dubbed due to FCC desires? Hell just yesterday I tried watching Menace II Society and had to stop within the first 10 minutes because Samuel L. Jackson swears so much in one of the first scenes, his voice was FULLY dubbed over with another guy who didn't even sound like him. Not only did it ruin the film itself, but it felt a lot less "professional" and so I couldn't take it seriously. My watching experience was ruined.

Now take a network like HBO into consideration. They allow language, some nudity, and graphic images. Some might not let their kids watch this, or might get upset if their kids end up witenssing any of this "questionable programming", but they know what the network entails, and they should be responsible for this "offensive content" coming into their life, especially when the network is known for it's content and has ratings and lists of what the programs include before they even air (the following feature film is rated...).

This leads me to my next proposal. Instead of tearing apart memorable quotes or the dialogue we choose to use as free persons on the internet, why don't we set up some sort of disclaimer? It could state that the site may include some swearing, and we could work in violence and movie spoilers which are also problems we have been meaning to address. It allows us word freedom and also covers our ass in case someone has something bad to say about the way our site is made up. We do offer a service that no one really has a market on right now, but in some aspects, we shouldn't cater to everyone at the risk of destorying movielines or our own personal speech, or sounding like a basic cable movie dub, they should cater to themselves and either avoid what's in front of them, or deal with it. It's the nature of the beast. Besides, we all look at f--k and think "fuck" so the only difference is that the site looks silly.

Now, this is not to say I encourage free swearing or the crap Oliveira does. Keep it tasteful and minimal, but apply when you feel it is necessary. Talk pages should be free, and you all agree on that, but even there, try and keep it as friendly s possible. Overall though, we all look at f--k and think "fuck" so the only difference is that the site looks silly. I'd rather have people worry about themselves and retain the sites and my dignity than have that.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM

I disagree completely.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 AM
IMFDB Admin

Younamehere.... how old are you? Just curious. Your point is completely selfish and doesn't even address the larger SOCIETAL issues .... like the fact that others don't want to see the profanity, which is why it is CENSORED when broadcast on network TV. Personally I DON'T CARE if it detracts from your viewing pleasure. That's why you have the freedom to buy your own uncensored DVD and play it to your heart's content.

The day you become dictator of the universe and can force the FCC (and society in general ) to do away with ratings, and prime time rules, and FCC regulations, and the fact that some people get offended at stuff that you don't, then, it will no longer be an issue.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:18 AM

I am 18 years old. I'd tell you "I'm more mature than that" or "age doesn't matter" but I don't believe people when they tell me that, and I don't think anyone will believe me either. I do know that this is a touchy subject about which I have a lot of passion. I also know I have a mouth and a mind, and therefore I have the ability to create ideas and opinions and express them. Couple that with my right to freedom of speech (and the fact this is the boundless internet) I am allowed to say what I feel like. You can disagree with me and tell me why, but don't belittle what I have to say because I am a certain age. I have my own merits like you have yours.

That being said, MPM2008, I have nothing but respect for you, for all the tireless work you put into this site. It wouldn't be half of what it is without your connections and I thank you for devoting your time and resources to it. However, I feel that your proposition to censor the site, though intentionally good, is not worth laming the site. Furthermore you completely missed the point I was trying to make with the analogy in my previous post, and typing something like that takes up a lot of time so I'll try and simplify it. It's there for you and everyone to reread when you have time, though.

The solutions that have come up, to me, don't seem reasonable or in the best interest of the site for all users, and I know your decision to censor was, more or less, for VIPs or those who want the site to look "professional", but I want to make a compromise for everyone, not just them. I feel that a disclaimer for the site stating that the content found here includes violence, movie spoilers, and language, is better than instances of "f--k", because we all look at that and think "fuck" anyway; the visual presence of the word is a moot point if what we replace it with produces the same word mentally. Protecting children or younger viewers isn't a valid argument either because I think that responsibility lies with their parents or guardians, and if we had a disclaimer, they (parents AND kids) know what they are getting into, so if they or anyone gets mad, all liability falls on them for knowing what they were getting into and going forth anyway. Numerous adult content and videogame sites do this too, and it allows them to maintain their freedom of content and professionalism, and I feel that is much better than censoring every swear on the site or getting rid of them.

I mean, if you had a window for your bedroom in your own home, when you want to change clothes or watch something your neighbors might not approve of, are you going to leave it open and not care, (equivalent to leaving curse words everywhere along the site), never change your clothes or watch "bad" programming (equivalent to covering up curse words or eliminating them entirely), or are you gonna close the blinds and leave their ability to see what you do in their hands (equivalent to a disclaimer)?

Most of us are proud of our Second Amendment Right and stand by it within reasonable means, so why can't we do the same for our First Amendment Right, again, through reasonable means, like mine? Why be ashamed of our speech when we can maintain it on our own and be proud of it, and let others do the same? I don't know if anyone is as passionate about this as I am, or even if they agree with me, but That's just how I feel about this whole matter, and misunderstanding, underestimation, or empty comments like "I disagree completely" are not enough to make me think otherwise.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I think I'm gonna need to re-do this poll to include the compromise option. Everyone OK voting again?