imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 07-10-2013, 05:18 PM

Saw The Lone Ranger on Monday. It wasn't that good; rent it, don't go see it

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ct-24th-583864

Not only can Sam Mendes do an action film, they want him to do two.

He'd be the first director to do consecutive Bond films since John Glen did five in a row in the eighties.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Started and finished MoH: Warfighter last night. The campaign was certainly pretty, but ridiculously short. It sort of felt like Act of Valor: The Video Game, and I think the navy dropped the ball by not going for a tie-in. It's a shame that EA has taken it out of the rotation. With a little work, it could've been a great game.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Started and finished MoH: Warfighter last night. The campaign was certainly pretty, but ridiculously short.
I'm of the type that would rather play a short campaign that's more impactful than a long boring one, but that's just my preference. Not trying to argue with you.

Quote:
It sort of felt like Act of Valor: The Video Game, and I think the navy dropped the ball by not going for a tie-in.
Considering the Navy punished the SEALs who consulted on the game for allegedly revealing classified info (though nothing I saw in it from gear to weapons to tactics was really new to me and the only "based on real events" mission I recognized was Hat Trick being a reproduction of the Maersk Alabama rescue, which the details of are pretty public), I find it highly unlikely they would have even considered going that route.

Quote:
It's a shame that EA has taken it out of the rotation. With a little work, it could've been a great game.
To me it is a great game because of its authentic feel, but unfortunately the majority of gamers want to be doing the Hollywood crap like hunting stolen nukes or fighting WW3 instead of seeing the more mundane and everyday stuff that these guys do in reality.

If nukes fell into evil hands as often games and movies portray, Jericho would be far more than a TV show.

Like I said, not trying to argue with you or change your opinion, just offering my viewpoint.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 07-14-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
Considering the Navy punished the SEALs who consulted on the game for allegedly revealing classified info (though nothing I saw in it from gear to weapons to tactics was really new to me and the only "based on real events" mission I recognized was Hat Trick being a reproduction of the Maersk Alabama rescue, which the details of are pretty public), I find it highly unlikely they would have even considered going that route.
Yeah, 2010 was a bit more "based on real events" since it was just Operation Anaconda with the serial numbers filed off and a different Dramatis Personae.

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:45 AM

Saw Pacific Rim yesterday, and it was fucking awesome. My dad said from the previews, it looked similar to the Transformers movies, but I can assure everyone, it is the complete opposite of them (for starters, Pacific Rim doesn't have any retarded jokes in it).

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 07-15-2013, 04:43 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I knew about the SEAL consultants being disciplined before I started, so I had it in the back of my head when I played, but I don't think I heard anything I hadn't heard before.

I'm with you, a short, good campaign is preferable to a drawn-out, bad campaign. The problem is, EA was going to charge the same no matter how long the campaign was. For the ten bucks I paid for it, it was fine. If I had preordered it and paid the full sixty, I would've been outraged. (Although, I suppose if you preordered it, you were probably just interested in the multiplayer and didn't care about the campaign.)

I thought it was funny they they emphasized the realism for about 90% of the game, and then had Preacher go Rambo and single-handedly take down the freighter. Even Modern Warfare 1 had an entire SAS squad.

The thing that bugged me the most was that you had no choice on your loadout. Realistically, these Tier 1 guys should get to take whatever they want, right? And I didn't like how Stump toted around a sniper rifle the entire time but only pulled it out on certain occasions. But otherwise, I loved how they handled the guns. I liked being about to choose between semi and full auto, and I liked how they allowed using iron sights and adjusting zoom.

Last edited by funkychinaman; 07-15-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 AM

Saw Pacific Rim yesterday, and it was fucking awesome. My dad said from the previews, it looked similar to the Transformers movies, but I can assure everyone, it is the complete opposite of them (for starters, Pacific Rim doesn't have any retarded jokes in it).

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wierd It View Post
Yeah, 2010 was a bit more "based on real events" since it was just Operation Anaconda with the serial numbers filed off and a different Dramatis Personae.
I had a few problems with the 2010 game in that it was trying to be more Call of Duty than Medal of Honour; the whole point of the original CoD was it was more "average soldier" rather than "hero doing exceptional things" like MoH. Hence both of their names.

Also, MoH 2010's plot was so badly described that all I really got was 'everyone wants to climb a mountain for some reason,' and I could only keep track of which protagonist I was by who he hung around with. And then I was supposed to care when one of them died rather than going 'wait, which one was he again?'

Plus rather than trying to make you feel like you were a Tier 1 it tried to nag you into acting like one. If a game is going to hand me a sniper rifle I've never used before it should make the effort to make me feel like a pro, not have my spotter complain at me for not hitting the bad guy with my first shot.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 07-15-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
I had a few problems with the 2010 game in that it was trying to be more Call of Duty than Medal of Honour; the whole point of the original CoD was it was more "average soldier" rather than "hero doing exceptional things" like MoH. Hence both of their names.

Also, MoH 2010's plot was so badly described that all I really got was 'everyone wants to climb a mountain for some reason,' and I could only keep track of which protagonist I was by who he hung around with. And then I was supposed to care when one of them died rather than going 'wait, which one was he again?'

Plus rather than trying to make you feel like you were a Tier 1 it tried to nag you into acting like one. If a game is going to hand me a sniper rifle I've never used before it should make the effort to make me feel like a pro, not have my spotter complain at me for not hitting the bad guy with my first shot.
You know, I have to confess, I don't remember anything about the plot of the 2010 game. When Voodoo says "For Mother, for Rabbit" right before breaching the final door, I couldn't remember who Rabbit was. Nor could I remember who Dusty was when he finally showed up in the end.

(BTW, did they market the game as "Medal of Honour" in the UK or was that just you spelling it the way you normally would? If they marketed it that way, that's pretty messed up.)

I think the game would've done better if they hadn't tried going head to head with CoD, especially given the response to the previous MoH. If you only had sixty bucks for one game, I don't know anyone who would spend it on this if CoD: BO2 was going to be available at the same price only two weeks later. Maybe a May release? Tie it in with Memorial Day?