imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 02-28-2011, 01:52 AM

The next generation weapon systems would be worth looking at if they didn't cost so much per unit, that's the main problem. For civilians, it's nice to pay maybe an extra 500-1000 dollars to get every conveivable bell and whistle short of an "auto" setting on the selector switch, but the militaries of the world have weapons that work well enough at a certain price point, and if that can't be beat, chaning is just detrimental. It's said the Beretta 92 won the contract over the SIG submission partially, if not primarily, because they brought the cost down. The'll stick with the gun that has a problem four times as often as long as it costs one fourth as much, or even one half as much. Economics!
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 AM

I dont care if it gets big contracts, I just want a civilian version as a fun gun maybe carbine courses. Its just surprising, I generally dont like beretta products based on fit/features (HATE slide mounted safeties.) u22 grip is skinny and it feels toylike, and the pocket pistols are too tiny and pretty heavy for the size, cx4 is expensive for a psitol caliber plinker. But then this...damn me liking beretta.......

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-28-2011, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I dont care if it gets big contracts, I just want a civilian version as a fun gun maybe carbine courses. Its just surprising, I generally dont like beretta products based on fit/features (HATE slide mounted safeties.) u22 grip is skinny and it feels toylike, and the pocket pistols are too tiny and pretty heavy for the size, cx4 is expensive for a psitol caliber plinker. But then this...damn me liking beretta.......
If it's any consolation, I think the Cougar is a pretty cool gun

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 02-28-2011, 03:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Tool-less break down is nice, and the barrel actually is quick change, very quick, and its truly abidextrous, not like the aug thats a chore to swap. Just seems light, user friendly and full of features.
The ACR is also abi and can quick change the barrel as well. Sure it's a little heavier but I like it more than the Beretta rifle. There's nothing wrong with just having a unique gun.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-28-2011, 04:00 AM

The ACR is kinda heavy though, and barrel changes MUCH quicker on beretta. Bushmaster is a local company to me though. The beretta is supposed to be 1500 range when released, the ACR is about a grand more....

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-28-2011, 04:45 AM

It's pretty cool. I'm always down for more fun new innovative guns. Is it better then the M4 or other current rifles in its class? Maybe. Maybe not. Probably not. But who cares? It looks fun and it's something different for people. The only major issue I have with it is that the bolt release is inside the trigger guard. Kinda nice if you are trying to get back in the fight in the middle of a firefight but kinda unsafe the rest of the time. I keep my finger away from the trigger until I am going to shoot.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:18 AM

Actually, the ACRs have come down in price, at least on Gunbroker. There's more than one Enhanced version on there for just under 2000 bucks. I also agree that it's at least neat that these types of guns are being made, but don't treat them as if they ARE IN FACT DEFINITELY the next big military thing, because they aren't yet. They are just neat.

Beretta's product line is not that bad, and relatively speaking, not that overpriced, and I already explained why the slide mounted safety is NOT to be HATED, and I would reiterate, but right now I have something else to do.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM

The bolt release is poorly placed but you can always rack the charging handle if at the range, and slide mounted safeties wont be a proble most of the time, just its a risk that i dont want to take at all. Even taurus got placement right with their clone.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 02-28-2011, 04:14 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

How is the bolt release on the ACR poorly placed? It's very close to your trigger finger so you can just move it and bam, release. Without so much extra movement. You insert new mag and simply press down or if you have a jam and need to clear it, you press up and rack the charging handle

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 02-28-2011, 04:34 PM

The beretta bolt release is poorly placed, not the acr. The berettas is inside the trigger guard.

Grunt, Mass effect 3