imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 AM

Hash, is that CQB?
A kid in green tights broke into my house and smashed all my shit with a sword. Fuck video games.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to MattyDienhoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
Why does down-the-sight aiming in FPS's always look like the rear sight is brought right up to your eyeball with your cheek right on the receiver? Also that little bit of magnification on weapons that don't have any sort of optics is very off putting.
That is pretty odd but there's a reason for it. As I understand it...

The field of view (FOV) that's considered to be normal in most FPS games is actually sort of a 'zoomed out' view compared to normal. At that level, it's harder to see distant objects than it would be in real life. It's not realistic, basically, but it's a necessary evil. It's a compromise, due to the displays we view these games on, because if the default FOV was realistic, you'd have extremely limited peripheral vision, so you'd never see threats coming from the sides and it'd be tough just walking around, it'd be like having blinders on. Therefore, aim zoom is actually a compromise upon a compromise. Aim zoom allows the default FOV to be wide so you have peripheral vision, but also allows you to have a decent chance of targeting at long range (without having to do excessive 'pixel hunting'). No, the idea of switching from one FOV to another isn't realistic, but the default FOV isn't realistic either, it's just a necessity. I'm not sure what effect widescreen displays has on this problem, I imagine it'd solve it by allowing a wider FOV, but perhaps not, I just don't know.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkovich View Post
Hash, is that CQB?
Which one?
Old 04-12-2011, 02:00 PM

The follow-up to True Combat: Elite
A kid in green tights broke into my house and smashed all my shit with a sword. Fuck video games.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 PM

Nope, sorry. Check the posts again, I listed the games.

Also, I haven't played TC:E in ages, so I haven't even heard of CQB the game before.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Also that little bit of magnification on weapons that don't have any sort of optics is very off putting.
The difference between real life and games is we don't deal with limited graphics in real life like on video games limiting our vision. Red Orchestra is like this and its very difficult to see and I would be better off with the rifle in real life than in that game.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 PM

I want to see target become blurry when aiming with irons instead of being crystal clear. You can only focus on one plane (the front sight) not 3 (rear, front, target.)

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 05-08-2011, 10:07 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
I want to see target become blurry when aiming with irons instead of being crystal clear. You can only focus on one plane (the front sight) not 3 (rear, front, target.)
The original Brothers in Arms were the first to do this somewhat right. Not only did they use ADS (instead of the old and outdated "zoom" with the crosshairs), they blurred the rear-sight. Instead of killing peripherals though, they simply filled the screen with the sights, which worked well enough. It was a little too realistic that you couldn't hit a damn thing most of the time though.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
That's a bit of a problem since the game can't simulate your eyes focusing the rest of the time without some serious processor-hogging logic in play to figure out what you're actually looking at in a scene. Having focus just turn up in one specific way kinda emphasises that it doesn't show up at any other time.

The usual FPS protagonist has one eye around collarbone level with no face surrounding it, central vision only and the ability to look straight ahead and still have a gun they're holding at the hip in focus and at least half in view. This is going to be hard to remedy without everyone being willing to buy a personal IMAX Dome.