imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Old 07-21-2009, 04:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Default Putting My Foot Down

I'm sick of this, we should enforce a new rule in full:

If you make a page, the most effort possible should be made to it as you can. If the page is not made to the best of your abilities, it should not be made. If someone (meaning anonymous users) ignorantly makes one of these half-assed (or less than half-assed) pages, it will either be deleted or expanded upon by a more capable user. If you plan to expand a page more in the future but don't have the time at the moment, leave a message at the top of the page informing people you will build it later.

If the best of your abilities is poor but you feel the page should be made (say a new movie release that has yet to be made), build it and fill in as much info as you can (with the gun images, descriptions, and links) and then list the page as "Category:Incomplete" and put {{Template:Incomplete}} at the top of the page. (I'm not sure if it is double {} or single)

I know I'm not the only one who is sick of all of these effortless pages. I say we do a sweep of the site, and either delete or improve the format on all of the crap pages (some have enough information to build on). This site should be fully reputable for having completed pages and when anonymous users build crap pages, or reputation is unrightfully hindered. Take a stand!

What does everyone else think?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 AM
IMFDB Admin

I agree as we have to many pages with nothing on them. I know when people have a work in progress but to never put any caps on it is stupid. I know of one member that is far more guilty of pages with nothing on them other than weapon photos.

Waste of time and makes the site look bad when there is nothing on the page.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:00 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I've been deleting empty (or near-empty) pages for a while now. It's not anything to shy away from.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

If a page has decent descriptions and the like but no links or images or poster, you can work with that to turn the page into something half decent.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:31 PM
IMFDB Admin

With some info on it that's a start on the page but some have none. I am guilty of pages with nothing when I first started. But I have grown of time and fill out the page on notepad before posting. I know that some don't have the skill or capability to screen cap or it's a time issue.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

A page where there are no screencaps, but there is at least description of which character used the gun(s) and format is proper, is OK by me. Even if it doesn't have screencaps, it can still be helpful to our readers because it tells them who used what gun. And that's what matters most.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 PM

I've been saying this all along.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

I have an idea. On the main page, we put a small notice saying:

SOME THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN VISITING IMFDb:
1) Pages should be completed to the best of the user's ability, empty or poorly built pages with little or no effort will be removed. Use already completed pages of proper format by reputable users of the site (such as the administators [link to the Mods page with list of admins.]) as an example if you are unfimiliar with the site's construction.

2) No bootleg images, please. In occordance with federal law, IMFDb prohibits the usage of bootlegs images from films not yet publically released. Even after release they should remain unused, as they are of poor quality and ugly.

3) Make no uneccessary or incorrect edits to pages. If you believe information on a page is incorrect but are unsure, comment on it in the "Discussion" section of the page so it can be confirmed. Never add your "gut-feeling" insite to a page.

4) Be polite. Keep swearing to a minimum and try to refrain from harsh argument or bashing of another user.

5) Have fun and enjoy the site.

What do you guys think? Could we put this on the front of the main page (maybe as a more stylish template) and is there maybe more we could add? Obviously we can't list all the rules right on the main page but that seems to cover our main basics on annoynances.

Someone loaded the Wolverine page with bootlegs so I had to stop making Watchmen to take time and delete every single image from the site. What a pain. I made a note he was breaking federal law, warned him he was at risk or being banned, and left an obvious comment on the top of the page (somewhat expressing my aggrivation over the extra work)

Last edited by Gunmaster45; 07-23-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 AM

You might also want to add that the talk pages are there to be used. It's rather distracting to suddenly encounter a conversation in the middle of an article.

Also, rather than put it on the main page, it should probably go under a 'help' heading in the "special" section of the sidebar, along with some of the rule and format posts that are currently here on the forums. When I was first looking around the site I found it odd that there were no sections on rules or guidelines for contributing, and it's something of a leap to figure out that they're buried in old forum posts. Things like how images should be aligned and how to align them, that links to weapon pages don't go in headings and so on would help new users figure out what they should be doing a lot quicker, assuming they actually want to.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:56 AM

I don't think putting it in the special sidebar would be good as the type of people who make crap pages prob won't go there anyways.

I suggest that whenever you click the new page button you will be taken to a page with the rules before you can make a new page.