imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 09-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyles View Post
Sarah is definitely NOT ok with rifles on the dinner table so logistics are challenging.
Yeah my wife is weird that way as well.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:19 PM

To be fair, it's a much nicer table than I had when I was living alone.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:44 PM

Hell, I take my gun pictures on the floor. I don't think I have one where you can't see my boots.

The dining room table was her Grandmothers, the coffee table is covered in fabric to match the couch/love seat, as of now, I have no work bench/reloading bench. The garage is nothing but unpacked boxes.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:54 AM

So, for $250 I acquired a Savage Axis in .22-250, a nice Made in the USA Allen gun bag, a box of 55 grain Super-X ammo, a box of Winchester Varmint-X ammo, a box of fired brass, and some no name (CP brand) scope with a big 60mm field of view.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:04 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I was really close to buying a Garand at a local gun show. It was selling for 950 and in pretty good condition. But I had just paid a lot of bills earlier so I had to pass on it.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 09-26-2016, 02:33 PM

I don't follow US prices very close, but up here that's a hell of a price for a Garand. Can't remember the last time I saw one for less than $1400. Makes me chuckle to remember paying $400 for mine (sometime around 2003) and thinking I overpaid.

I finally got my 35M on Friday. It's not as nice as the 43M (which makes sense, seeing as it probably went through Stalingrad), but quite decent. The bore is frosted, but has strong rifling so it should still shoot OK. It's made in 1940, so it would likely have gone through the entire Eastern front from the invasion of Yugoslavia on.

I snapped a picture of the two together, the 43M on top and the 35M on the bottom, with a clip of ammo for each (8mm Mauser on a stripper clip for the 43M, 8mm Mannlicher on an en bloc for the 35M). You can see most of the differences, with the two different magazine systems, the straight vs bent bolt and the finger grooves on the 35M stock. The 35M looks to have a walnut stock, whereas the 43M is beech or birch. If you look really close you can see the hump on the receiver of the 43M for the clip guides.

I had army all weekend so I haven't had time to take detailed pictures, but plan of getting a whole set showing the differences between the two for one of my collector's boards. If there's any interest I'll post them here too.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:02 PM

Bright spot in what's otherwise been a particularly awful Thanksgiving weekend where we lost our dog, today I received a surprisingly nice 1930s H&R 922 revolver. I bought it almost on a whim, partly because I've been looking another .22 revolver (my H&R top break is interesting but a crappy shooter and my Woodsman only seems to like Remington Target and I can't get it locally anymore) and partly because I'll buy pretty much any vintage handgun for under $100.

It's a pretty simple design, a 9 shot single / double action that's loaded / unloaded by pulling out the cylinder rod and dropping out the cylinder. It actually does have a cutout in the recoil shield you can fiddle a round through, but it's pretty impractical. Surprisingly, it has a quite decent trigger and sights, espescially when my H&R Target top break has neither. Can't wait to put some rounds through it.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:52 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

H&R sold a ton of those revolvers back in the day. We think of H&R as being a cheap handgun maker, but I've got multiple shooting books written in the 1920's, 1930's and 1940's that give glowing reviews to the H&R rimfire revolvers. Even Elmer Keith had nice things to say about them and Hatcher thought they were great.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:13 PM

Honestly I bought it more as a curiosity but I'm really surprised at how nice it actually is. The trigger is way better than my other H&R and the sights are actually usable, I think this may be my main .22 plinker until I can figure out some ammo the Woodsman cycles reliably.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:47 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Enjoy it. Vintage guns are great.