imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Kinda like the neighbor who plays his stereo loudly but only for a few minutes each night. Enough to annoy everyone in the neighborhood, but not long enough to merit calling the police on a noise ordinance complaint.
You don't call the police for things like that; you give out a free ass whuppin'. Duh

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
I post the same thing in every thread you've posted about this problem. So here it is again, plain and simple as can be. Close registration. Only allow people to register by request. Require them to create something decent in a sandbox and submit it for admin/mod approval. If it gets the go ahead, they are free to join and make edits/create pages/be useful/etc.
You DO REALIZE that it takes a ton of time to 'vett' every single person who wants to be a member? I certainly don't want to waste my time do that. In government positions or openings on the Supreme Court, all those people are PAID to screen applicants. That's what you're missing here. Being PAID to waste hours and hours of our lives each day, which is something IMFDB MODS are not (paid that is) That's the 'solution' created by someone who doesn't think things all the way through.

Your post did make me think, but these 'changes' are BEYOND my power as a mere Mod. Bunni is the overall wiki sysop on the site and he alone can do this. Remember how banks and other place have you READ a contract and click the 'agree box' before being allowed to sign up (like on news sites). It won't stop vandals from being dicks (that is BEFORE we ban them), but it may help with forcing new members (with no malice in their intent) to actually READ the rules before posting erroneous stuff. Of course, there is NO WAY to avoid malicious intent. They can just be the 'model citizen' until they decide to become raving assholes. Something you're familiar with lOL

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 07-23-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Universal truth: Foreigners are dicks. Except Canadians
Hey I have Canadian relatives...Trust me when I say that Canadians can be the biggest Dicks on the face of the Earth....Then Again they are FRENCH Canadians.

Well it says something about that branch of the family when it is sugested that someplace way back in the roots of the family tree some Squaw was feeling especially cold and snuggled up to a frenchman. The majority of the family reacts in absolute horror. Sort of makes me glad I'm dateing a native american woman right now.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
You DO REALIZE that it takes a ton of time to 'vett' every single person who wants to be a member? I certainly don't want to waste my time do that. In government positions or openings on the Supreme Court, all those people are PAID to screen applicants. That's what you're missing here. Being PAID to waste hours and hours of our lives each day, which is something IMFDB MODS are not (paid that is) That's the 'solution' created by someone who doesn't think things all the way through.

Your post did make me think, but these 'changes' are BEYOND my power as a mere Mod. Bunni is the overall wiki sysop on the site and he alone can do this. Remember how banks and other place have you READ a contract and click the 'agree box' before being allowed to sign up (like on news sites). It won't stop vandals from being dicks (that is BEFORE we ban them), but it may help with forcing new members (with no malice in their intent) to actually READ the rules before posting erroneous stuff. Of course, there is NO WAY to avoid malicious intent. They can just be the 'model citizen' until they decide to become raving assholes. Something you're familiar with lOL
Unlike those assholes, I care about the well being of the site and have made constructive edits. Please don't lump me with them.

Another thing I'd like to add. Do we really need this website open to anybody and everybody? It seems new releases are dealt with fairly quickly, all the great gun movies have been done already, and all that's left are foreign films and non-action movies with one or two incidental appearances of firearms. (Like a scene with police officers or a hunting rifle on a wall.) Yes we need foreigners if we want to be thorough with foreign films. But unless somebody can really wow us with a sudden influx of 80 million complete screencapped captioned bollywood action film pages, there really is no benefit to allowing 60 trolls in for every one dude from Pakistan or Guatemala who pops in to add a single photo and leave.

Put up a list of criteria for new pages, make it clear what a page should look like, and let it be known that your first contribution needs to be a near complete screencapped and captioned page. Wanna reg just to make a few grammatical edits and add a photo or two? Too bad, you're not worth the risk, don't bother applying. If somebody is interested in becoming a contributing member, they'll understand and won't have a problem with it. Any application that isn't a certain length and doesn't include a certain number of pictures would be automatically discarded by the system before ever having the chance to bug anyone.

If this sounds like too much work, just increase the number of admins. I nominate...everyone on this board who is a senior member and is not me.

Also yes it's hypocritical of me to suggest this when I haven't created any pages myself. I acknowledge this and will get around to doing something about it when I can.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 View Post
Hey I have Canadian relatives...Trust me when I say that Canadians can be the biggest Dicks on the face of the Earth....Then Again they are FRENCH Canadians.

Well it says something about that branch of the family when it is sugested that someplace way back in the roots of the family tree some Squaw was feeling especially cold and snuggled up to a frenchman. The majority of the family reacts in absolute horror. Sort of makes me glad I'm dateing a native american woman right now.
The only group that have French roots that AREN"T douchebags are the Cajuns, who were formed when all the badasses in France got the hell out of France because there weren't any dangerous animals for them to kill and then deep fry

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
I post the same thing in every thread you've posted about this problem. So here it is again, plain and simple as can be. Close registration. Only allow people to register by request. Require them to create something decent in a sandbox and submit it for admin/mod approval. If it gets the go ahead, they are free to join and make edits/create pages/be useful/etc.
This may be the only time that I agree with POI
Old 07-23-2010, 06:24 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
This may be the only time that I agree with POI
well.... his eventual EXPANSION and explanation of his point in detailed helped a lot in understanding his suggestion. Usually he pops in, makes a weird comment and then leaves! LOL
Old 07-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
well.... his eventual EXPANSION and explanation of his point in detailed helped a lot in understanding his suggestion. Usually he pops in, makes a weird comment and then leaves! LOL
1234 lol, true
Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 AM
IMFDB Admin

The CAT SHIT ONE page really bugs me. The fact that I think the show is retarded is irrelevant. I've SEEN that animation TWO YEARS AGO when the preliminary art was being posted on the web. But all I ask is proof that this is a real show that has been picked up by SOMEONE. All we need is proof that the show has been broadcast somewhere IN ASIA on television or cable, (NOT on the internet or YOUTUBE) and none of our Asian members can even provide proof of this. The last member from Asia gave us a link to a page, which unless you read the language you can't understand ANYTHING ON IT, which purported to show a video, which was BLOCKED in the Western Hemisphere.

Again, this proves that many of our foreign members, though trying to be helpful, are CLUELESS!
Old 07-24-2010, 05:57 AM

I personally feel that CAT SHIT ONE deserves to go just for it's name. I'd love to incinerate the page and all non real weapon related content.
Closed Thread