imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Guns & Movies

Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur
Default Most widely seen gun in movies and TV

Does anyone know the most popular handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc in each category that has been seen in most movies and TV shows?

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-06-2009, 06:44 AM
IMFDB Admin

Most popular handgun: Beretta 92F/FS or 1911. Both are very popular in movies, but I suppose Beretta takes top spot because of its notorious reliability and blank convertability to armorers.

Most popular shotgun: Either Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.

Most popular rifle: Hell if I know.

If you really want to know based on IMFDb statistics, go to special pages and see which images link to the most pages.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:45 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Does anyone know the most popular handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc in each category that has been seen in most movies and TV shows?
Handguns, historically would be either the M1911 or the Colt Single Action or the S&W Model 10. The SAA would be higher if we were to list EVERY SINGLE western movie or television episode made in the U.S. (and other countries) between the silent era and now. And that's a LOT! Including the serials and old shows like 'the Lone Ranger', etc. etc.

As far as modern semiautos, the champion is still the Beretta 92FS, from the early 1980s on, followed closely by the Glock and then the SIG.

Rifle is harder since lever actions are in the tons of westerns made between the silent era to today. But bolt action sporting rifles are the most generic, but then M16s or AKs are the most prevalent in 'action/thriller/espionage/military/etc films since the 1960s.

Shotguns - I'm pretty sure it's either a toss up between the Remington 870 and the Ithaca Model 37.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:48 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
If you really want to know based on IMFDb statistics, go to special pages and see which images link to the most pages.
But then of course we're woefully lacking in information on television shows, old movies (especially SILENT FILMS). I am SURE we are missing so much national and international information that even our complete statistics won't be much of a help to estimate the winners. For one, we don't have the tons of appearances of the SAA in the TONS of western films, serials and television shows. SAA wins hands down if you count every episode of Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Have Gun WIll Travel, Rawhide, Laredo, High Chapparral, Iron Horse, the Wild Wild West, etc. etc. etc.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:01 AM
IMFDB Admin

My grandpa has all the old Bonanza and Gunsmoke shows on DVD, maybe I should screencap them for IMFDb.

I personally wish I had more episodes of The Rifleman, I loved that show. I only have like two in a special westerns TV pack.

I have one episode of the Lone Ranger (because my Grandpa stocked up on VHSs long ago, so none of those can help me much) and personally it was a terrible episode. He shot cups off the branch of a tree, to show how "true" a silver bullet could fly from about 20ft. Ah, I love the old westerns.

Inside my 16-year-old self is an old man, minus the racism, prejudice, and ignornance that resides in my actual old man grandpa.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
My grandpa has all the old Bonanza and Gunsmoke shows on DVD, maybe I should screencap them for IMFDb.

I personally wish I had more episodes of The Rifleman, I loved that show. I only have like two in a special westerns TV pack.

I have one episode of the Lone Ranger (because my Grandpa stocked up on VHSs long ago, so none of those can help me much) and personally it was a terrible episode. He shot cups off the branch of a tree, to show how "true" a silver bullet could fly from about 20ft. Ah, I love the old westerns.

Inside my 16-year-old self is an old man, minus the racism, prejudice, and ignornance that resides in my actual old man grandpa.
You know the pages for Bonanza and Gunsmoke, if you chronicle every instance or usage by a different actor of a particular gun, the pages will be MASSIVE since those shows lasted so long......

I know PhoenixEnt is the expert on B&W or Film Noir or B&W War movies. Who is our resident WESTERN expert on IMFDB?

EDIT: GM45, why are you still UP? It must be 3:00 AM New York time right now!!!!!!!! The reason why I'm still up is that I'm on call for a movie shoot and they're going to call me to the set one hour before they film weapons, which will be sometime between 2:00am and 5:30am California Time.

Last edited by MoviePropMaster2008; 08-06-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
You know the pages for Bonanza and Gunsmoke, if you chronicle every instance or usage by a different actor of a particular gun, the pages will be MASSIVE since those shows lasted so long......

I know PhoenixEnt is the expert on B&W or Film Noir or B&W War movies. Who is our resident WESTERN expert on IMFDB?

EDIT: GM45, why are you still UP? It must be 3:00 AM New York time right now!!!!!!!! The reason why I'm still up is that I'm on call for a movie shoot and they're going to call me to the set one hour before they film weapons, which will be sometime between 2:00am and 5:30am California Time.
I'm nocturnal. It is indeed 3:00 in the morning, and being a 16-year-old in the middle of summer, this is my time to relax and be alone. Sleep isn't too important, and I'll probably be woken up at about 2:00 to help my dad tommorow, but it's all good.

And based on the number of westerns I've done for IMFDb, may I possibly take the honors?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
And based on the number of westerns I've done for IMFDb, may I possibly take the honors?
I'll be impressed if you get all of RANDOLPH SCOTT'S and TOM MIX's movies....
Old 08-06-2009, 01:48 PM

If John is the Western Guy and Vangelis is the Witty Brit, what the hell i am? The Vietnam Veteran? The War Expert?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Oliveira View Post
If John is the Western Guy and Vangelis is the Witty Brit, what the hell i am? The Vietnam Veteran? The War Expert?
The pet detective...?

No, wait, that's Ace Ventura...

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman