imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-31-2009, 12:51 AM

Oh I have one.

I was taking apart my 5906 and I just found the buttons that release the safety and the firing pin. I depressed the firing pin, and when I went to hit the button to release it, I apparently forgot about spring tension, and it flew out of the back of the gun.......

Into my eye.

Thankfully I didn't go blind, and I learned how to take the pieces out properly. It was pretty funny all in all.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM
IMFDB Admin

That reminds me of the spring cover on my 1911. If you don't hold that down it can shoot out pretty fast.

I was just thinking about an accident my grandpa had. He sat down to the dinner table with a loaded shotgun and it accidentally went off and he shot the floor. His brother's feet were pretty close to the shot, so he sprinted out of the house and through the screen door without even opening it. I can imagine it was quite a spectical.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM

Yeah my 1911 spring plug flew of the first day I got it. They guy behind the counter was trying to show me how to take it apart and put it together, but he failed to realise that the spring plug was the last iece to go in, so he was trying to reassemble the gun without the slide stop in, so he couldn't adequately tame the plug and wham, flew out right next to me. nothing broke though.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

What, was he showing off or something? Anyone who owns a 1911 should know how to field strip it (I've done it blind-folded before). Anyway, anyone ever time tested their 1911 field stripping time?

I get around ~30 seconds apart and back together. It takes longer when I have the comp. on it because I have to push a pencil through the plug spot to depress the sping cover, so that takes extra time. I only field strip when I have the normal bushing attached.

Stripping a Glock 17 1st Gen was easiest though, took me ~20 seconds. No major components to line up and precisely plug. That was the first thing that drew my interest to the Glock, how easy they are to field-strip and clean.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

45 seconds flat with my Desert Warrior but not blind folded.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 08-01-2009, 02:30 AM
IMFDB Admin

I believe that gun has a second spring to mine, so 45 is pretty good. I didn't get my best time blind-folded, but I can do it blind-folded within a minute.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:03 AM

I don't speed strip it because I'm trying to keep it from getting a moron mark (so far so good). I use a mechanical pencil to depress the plunger and I gently slide it in. It once took me several minutes just to do that. If you give me a 1911 to practice, I could probably match anyone's time.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 PM

First thing they teach you at basic is never strip against time. That's how you lose parts.