imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-31-2019, 04:36 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Say what you will about Ghosts or Infinite Warfare, but IW was trying something new. Going back to MW just seems a bit lazy. (Not finding a better title is REALLY lazy.)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Say what you will about Ghosts or Infinite Warfare, but IW was trying something new. Going back to MW just seems a bit lazy. (Not finding a better title is REALLY lazy.)
The fact that CoD4 is arguably still the franchise's highest peak after all this time is saying something, though.

RIP Kevin Conroy, the one true Batman
Old 05-31-2019, 03:26 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
The fact that CoD4 is arguably still the franchise's highest peak after all this time is saying something, though.
Which they revisited with two sequels and a remaster. (BTW, I think it says something that the remaster costs more than Infinite Warfare nowadays.) Do we want them to innovate, or just keep trotting out the greatest hits?
Old 05-31-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Honestly the vague title is my only issue with it. Aside from that, I'm happy that the franchise came back to a modern setting, the latter of which I've been wanting for a while.

Thing with "trying something new" is that it needs to be done in the correct direction. I initially had good hopes for Ghosts, and yet it ended up as an awful game with really shitty writing (especially with that "I'M BETTER THAN YOU" part in the Sin City mission... is it some 8-year old kid talking here or what?). I haven't played Infinite Warfare, but aside from the space battles, it was criticized for pretty much ripping off many features from BO3, although this time the campaign was apparently nice.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Which they revisited with two sequels and a remaster. (BTW, I think it says something that the remaster costs more than Infinite Warfare nowadays.) Do we want them to innovate, or just keep trotting out the greatest hits?
To be fair, "trotting out the greatest hits" seems to be the MO with CoD these days, as is the case with almost any series in its twilight, and innovation was never something it was particularly known for.

In other news, I'm finally eligible for another Amazon Prime free trial, so I'm going to binge Jack Ryan.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:22 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I do like the idea of the developers promising a more "realistic" story. So much so that there's at least 1 so called game journalist calling for the censorship of this new game, fearing every level is going to be like No Russian...that actually gives me hope for the series. You can't make a game about war, glorifying it for entertainment and be surprised that war is very gritty and harsh

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 06-01-2019, 04:32 AM

There isn't really anything else in the grapevine that I'm looking into getting this year (I'm passing on Ghost Recon Breakpoint and will very likely pass on WWE 2K20 unless it's themed around the Undertaker, Kane, or the Rock), so maybe I'll consider giving this new CoD a shot. Maybe. At least they've seemingly made it a habit to model both sides of the guns in the game.

Also, while I'm enjoying Jack Ryan, I can't get over how crooked the eyes of the actress playing the Jihadi boss' wife are. Seriously, they're like a car wreck, I can't look at anything else whenever they show her face.

Old 06-01-2019, 05:44 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
In other news, I'm finally eligible for another Amazon Prime free trial, so I'm going to binge Jack Ryan.
Just get Prime, it's worth it. It's worth it even without Prime Video.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Just get Prime, it's worth it. It's worth it even without Prime Video.
Not really. Prime Video would be the only reason for me having it since I don't buy off Amazon enough for save anything (my most recent order was last September) and there isn't really enough on it I'd watch regularly to warrant it.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:01 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Not really. Prime Video would be the only reason for me having it since I don't buy off Amazon enough for save anything (my most recent order was last September) and there isn't really enough on it I'd watch regularly to warrant it.
Amazon is the first place I look if I need anything (non-grocery). I just don't have time to go out and look in B&M stores anymore.