imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Old 05-18-2016, 04:09 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Well, the new Doom game is awesome except the bosses, which have a nasty case of Featureless Circular Arena Syndrome.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:45 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I'm playing Homefront the Revolution

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 05-19-2016, 01:59 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

If it's true he turned down almost $100 million for TWO movies, then I guess he really doesn't want to do it.

Connery got fed up and walked away too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...two-films.html
Old 05-19-2016, 02:12 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

I think 4 movies is a pretty good run for a Bond actor. I think this current generation of Bond movies needs to stop and needs to go back to the roots.

The Man From Uncle is sorta like the classic Bond spy movie we need.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 05-24-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
I think 4 movies is a pretty good run for a Bond actor. I think this current generation of Bond movies needs to stop and needs to go back to the roots.

The Man From Uncle is sorta like the classic Bond spy movie we need.
Seconded. Craig was good but it'll be nice to have some new blood in there.

BTW, new Doom does look pretty kickass. Also seems to play pretty good, too - I was a bit skeptical there at first. Really wish I had means to play current stuff. Getting there.

New GB trailer.. was better than the first one but that really isn't saying much. Still looks like shit. Really hope it isn't but still not holding my breath there.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:43 PM
IMFDB Admin

First impressions is everything. SJWs are throwing bad reviews out. I criticize the actresses because they look like they suck as actresses...this is not going to be a good movie. If those were the best lines they could throw as jokes for 2 trailers...I'm done

Apparently the Bond creator didn't want the next Bond to be Idris Elba..he would have been awesome!

Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
First impressions is everything. SJWs are throwing bad reviews out. I criticize the actresses because they look like they suck as actresses...this is not going to be a good movie. If those were the best lines they could throw as jokes for 2 trailers...I'm done

Apparently the Bond creator didn't want the next Bond to be Idris Elba..he would have been awesome!
Do you mean John Gardner? Because Ian Fleming died before Idris Elba was born.

I'm willing to give the new Ghostbusters a chance. I liked Paul Feig and Melissa McCarthy's previous collaborations like The Heat and Spy. I don't get the knee-jerk "eww, girls" opposition to the film.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
I don't get the knee-jerk "eww, girls" opposition to the film.

"I don't like gender being used as a gimmick. This is perfect: they've created a movie beyond reproach. If anyone criticizes it, they're instantly sexist. Nevermind that the jokes fell flat, the Ecto-1 looks even more dated than the original, the premise is absurd and they rely on slap gags--nevermind all of that. If the movie fails--it's not their fault for making a bad movie, it's the fault of the patriarchy for being sexist. There's no universe in which this movie could be criticized without the specter of "sexism" looming in the minds of people who defend it. It's the perfect alibi for failure."

Granted, 'eww girls' might the root of some opposition of the film, but there's plenty of other legitimate shit to criticize as the above quote points out, especially after seeing two trailers (this statement was made back at the first trailer, mind you).

Ultimately, it just looks bad. As I said, I HOPE I'm wrong and it is better than what I'm seeing. Of course I said/desired the same about the RoboCop remake which was also produced by Sony. Bah.

Last edited by StanTheMan; 05-24-2016 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:15 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanTheMan View Post
"I don't like gender being used as a gimmick. This is perfect: they've created a movie beyond reproach. If anyone criticizes it, they're instantly sexist. Nevermind that the jokes fell flat, the Ecto-1 looks even more dated than the original, the premise is absurd and they rely on slap gags--nevermind all of that. If the movie fails--it's not their fault for making a bad movie, it's the fault of the patriarchy for being sexist. There's no universe in which this movie could be criticized without the specter of "sexism" looming in the minds of people who defend it. It's the perfect alibi for failure."

Granted, that might the root of some opposition of the film, but there's plenty of other shit to criticize as the above quote points out (this was back at the first trailer, mind you), especially after seeing two trailers. Excalibur said it, it just looks bad. And that's about all I'll say in that regard.

As I said, I HOPE it is better than what I'm seeing. Of course I said/desired the same about the RoboCop remake which was also produced by Sony. Bah.
"The premise is absurd?" It's a comedy about hunting ghosts with portable nuclear reactors, what's the expectation here?

I'm just not willing to dismiss it based on one trailer (I haven't seen the second one.) I like the writer/director, and I like most of the cast (not a huge fan of Leslie Jones.) I'm just going to keep an open mind.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:19 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

And if does suck, I'm putting the blame on Dan Ackroyd. He kept pushing and pushing for a sequel to a film most people were disappointed in, and he just wouldn't let it go. Then again, he made a sequel to The Blues Brothers almost two decades after half the act died, so he seems to have a hard time moving on.