imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 12-29-2019, 09:02 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Here's my new BCM rifle:

Here are some close-ups of the new BCM MK2 upper receiver, which I mentioned in my previous post. The main differences between this upper and the standard mil-spec flattop uppers is that it has a built-up portion on the left side, more material around the ejection port, and a shorter forward assist - supposedly, it's stronger than a standard upper, but weighs about the same.

Old 01-04-2020, 01:28 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Getting closer to my first AK purchase. I'm getting a Krink style

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 01-18-2020, 08:55 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

The new Python. No it isn't the same as the old one and it never will be. I own several older Colt DA revolvers to include an early Colt 3-5-7 (mine was manufactured in 1955), which is the Python minus the famous fluted barrel and Royal Blue finish. I'm okay with a new one that looks like it's ancestor, but is a product of modern engineering and technology.

There have been a few glitches with the first new Pythons to be sent out by Colt. The Colt haters are all over it, but I suspect that the first 1,000 were sent out as a type of testing. What nobody is talking about is that Colt has been contacted and will make good the necessary corrections. One of the reasons why I don't buy a new gun until it's has time to be rung out by others. Funny how the critics are forgetting the troubles that Ruger (P85), Smith & Wesson (586/686), Kimber and Glock (Gen 4 or Gen 5....I can't remember which iteration) all had at the beginning as well. Of course $1,499 is a hefty price and people aren't wrong to expect perfection. Also, Colt has done much over the past thirty-five years to earn such bad feelings. Regardless I have sold a couple guns and I have the money to purchase one. I'm hoping that by this summer I'll be able to get hold of one and the mechanical issues will have been worked out.

I'll be looking to see if Colt addresses the mechanical glitches (cylinder not revolving and nick and dings at the muzzle) at the SHOT show. I'll also be paying attention to what happens over the next few months. If it continues to be a problem then I suppose I'll buy something else. Hopefully Colt will have a lasting fix.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:36 AM

Model 29 or 629 soon maybe, a family friend is downsizing and I'm going to go give their stuff a look

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 05-01-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Model 29 or 629 soon maybe, a family friend is downsizing and I'm going to go give their stuff a look
This guy flaked, so S&W 5906 soon and maybe a Rossi M88. I just got 4 more mags (2 aftermarket for less than the cost of one garbage Pro-Mag, 2 factory for basically the price of 1) for my 459 that'll work in it. I also found a guy on gunbroker selling the Mec Gar 15s for like 18 a pop, will probably hit them up soon

Last edited by S&Wshooter; 05-22-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:29 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Got my eye on a Smith & Wesson 4513TSW (45 ACP - six shot magazine). It's one of the ones made from 97-99 and doesn't have the integral rail. It's in excellent shape, comes with three magazines and the original blue S&W case. I'll be bidding on it (estate auction) in a couple weeks. We shall see.

https://musickauction.hibid.com/lot/...pistol?cpage=4

Last edited by Jcordell; 05-06-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 02:37 AM

Decided to just get a 5906, found one in good shape with the arched xenoy grips (just switched my 4506 to use a similar set) and Novak sights. I also found a guy on gunbroker selling brand new Mec Gars cheap so am stocking up; I'm going to take this influx of new mags to send some older ones my father's way, for his 915

Old 05-12-2020, 01:18 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Decided to just get a 5906, found one in good shape with the arched xenoy grips (just switched my 4506 to use a similar set) and Novak sights. I also found a guy on gunbroker selling brand new Mec Gars cheap so am stocking up; I'm going to take this influx of new mags to send some older ones my father's way, for his 915
I'm always looking for original S&W mags and I've jumped a couple times when I've found Mec Gars mags for sale as well. Few months ago I found two 4516-1 mags for sale. The owner was asking $35.00 for the pair and the price wasn't negotiable. I paid it.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcordell View Post
Few months ago I found two 4516-1 mags for sale. The owner was asking $35.00 for the pair and the price wasn't negotiable. I paid it.
IIRC that's less than what one goes for usually. Just a few weeks ago I got 2 OEM 14 round 5900 mags for $40, and 2 aftermarkets for $17. I'm going to give my 15 round Mec Gar and a 15 round OEM to my father for his 915, loaded with good hollowpoints

Old 05-15-2020, 03:38 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
IIRC that's less than what one goes for usually. Just a few weeks ago I got 2 OEM 14 round 5900 mags for $40, and 2 aftermarkets for $17. I'm going to give my 15 round Mec Gar and a 15 round OEM to my father for his 915, loaded with good hollowpoints
It was a good deal. One of the reasons why I didn't haggle. The seller of those mags knew what he was doing though. His second job (he is also a police officer at a nearby agency) is selling accoutrements for firearms. It wasn't a bad price and I've seen genuine single S&W 3rd Gen mags go for significantly higher prices. Besides we get along.

A couple months ago I sold my WWII era M1 carbine to him. Manufactured in 43 by the National Postal Meter Company it had been modified with the bayonet lug and so forth. Also, while in good shape, it was imported back into the states from S. Korea in the eighties. All factors that would hold down it's re-sale value. He paid me $650 for it and sold it to a guy who had been wanting an M1 carbine for awhile. I suspect that the buyer wasn't real discriminating, but he won't tell me what he sold it for. I'm sure he did okay though.

I guess the saying that it isn't what you know but who is true. I've told him to keep me in my mind during his travels and that I will make it worth his while to pick up S&W 2/3rd Gen 45ACP mags.