imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Swordfish941's Avatar
Swordfish941 Swordfish941 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Fishers, Indiana
Posts: 3,228
Default

I went to a fireworks show and I'm now eating a meal of cheese pizza bagels and cherry Coke Zero.
__________________
Can we start with part where Jayne gets knocked out by 90-pound girl? Hoban "Wash" Washburne (Alan Tudyk), Serenity

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Reach Reach is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 87
Default

hung out at the lake with my girlfriend. and then watched the fireworks late at night from the sunroom with her. it was pretty damn romantic.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Spartan198's Avatar
Spartan198 Spartan198 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The failed state of California
Posts: 2,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
America won the War of Independence because everything happens six hours earlier in England, so you had plenty of time to prepare for it before it happened in the states. That's history, that is.
You know, I've always wondered how the American Revolution is taught in schools on your side of the pond. Any insight?
__________________
"The gun has played a critical role in history. An invention which has been praised and denounced... served hero and villain alike... and carries with it moral responsibility. To understand the gun is to better understand history."

“What is morality in any given time or place? It is what the majority then and there happen to like, and immorality is what they dislike.” - Alfred North Whitehead
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 AM
Evil Tim's Avatar
Evil Tim Evil Tim is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The surface of the sun
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
You know, I've always wondered how the American Revolution is taught in schools on your side of the pond. Any insight?
Well, we don't get a lot of detail on it: nothing about individual battles or figures, really. It boiled down to that we were taxing the states without letting them have any say in parliament and that was shit of us so the states revoluted and the rest of history is this happening everywhere else except Australia and the Falkland Islands.

One thing that sadly isn't hammered into European students is that our entire history consists of fighting increasingly bloody and pointless wars against each other for hundreds of years at a time, so calling other countries "warlike" is ridiculous unless we're trying to speak from our position as experts in the field.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 07-06-2011 at 03:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-06-2011, 04:46 AM
funkychinaman's Avatar
funkychinaman funkychinaman is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 2,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Tim View Post
Well, we don't get a lot of detail on it: nothing about individual battles or figures, really. It boiled down to that we were taxing the states without letting them have any say in parliament and that was shit of us so the states revoluted and the rest of history is this happening everywhere else except Australia and the Falkland Islands.

One thing that sadly isn't hammered into European students is that our entire history consists of fighting increasingly bloody and pointless wars against each other for hundreds of years at a time, so calling other countries "warlike" is ridiculous unless we're trying to speak from our position as experts in the field.
Wow, I'm a bit surprised by that. Even here, some teachers here will mention that while taxation without representation was clearly wrong, the expense of protecting the American frontier after the French and Indian/Seven Years War was driving the need for more tax revenue. Therefore, it wasn't that unreasonable to increase our taxes in order to pay for something that only Americans needed.

Just curious, what's the modern British take on the Opium Wars? Is there a way to put a positive spin on that?
__________________
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-06-2011, 06:43 AM
The Wierd It's Avatar
The Wierd It The Wierd It is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in England.
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychinaman View Post
Wow, I'm a bit surprised by that. Even here, some teachers here will mention that while taxation without representation was clearly wrong, the expense of protecting the American frontier after the French and Indian/Seven Years War was driving the need for more tax revenue. Therefore, it wasn't that unreasonable to increase our taxes in order to pay for something that only Americans needed.

Just curious, what's the modern British take on the Opium Wars? Is there a way to put a positive spin on that?
Dunno. I was never taught about it, probably because the syllabus never went near that period.
__________________
You seem nervous... Is it the accent? Do you want to know how I got it?

There's only one explanation for everything that's happened to me so far: This universe is trolling me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Evil Tim's Avatar
Evil Tim Evil Tim is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The surface of the sun
Posts: 740
Default

You have to remember that the syllabus is designed by guilty middle-class white liberals, so anything where Britain might concievably have done something right and / or won is avoided.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.