imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
AdAstra2009's Avatar
AdAstra2009 AdAstra2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Bunni originally DID allow Mods for popular and commercially available game titles, so they are allowed. I don't question Imperious Leader. It's his sandbox and I just play in it. I will push for enactment of stuff that has not been explicitly addressed, but anything that Bunni has already clearly given the thumbs up or thumbs down, I don't question.
darn, alrighty then.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-07-2010, 03:58 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I mean it's stupid, no different than out policy of not allowing films that are not on IMDB and are made by a bunch of kids....which most of the time what user-made videogame mods are.
Which is why we're explicit about the mods must be done by professional or semi-professional groups to warrant inclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
What do you guys think about limiting it to any weapon used at the Platoon level?

I hesitate to say brigade level, then you get self propelled guns, howitzers, UAV launched missiles, etc.
Definitely not brigade level. Anything that's too big to be carried on and/or fired from a Humvee (or equivalent vehicle) shouldn't get its own page.

As for the 20mm rotary cannon (such as the M61, which Steve mentioned), I am at least OK with them if you guys have those in the industry and have converted them to blank-fire. What I don't want, however, is for people to include those weapons if they appear on a CGI render of a fighter aircraft that appears in the movie/TV show, and were not physically present on the movie set during filming.
__________________
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the hogs of war.

Last edited by MT2008; 12-07-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Phoenixent Phoenixent is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
As for the 20mm rotary cannon (such as the M61, which Steve mentioned), I am at least OK with them if you guys have those in the industry and have converted them to blank-fire. What I don't want, however, is for people to include those weapons if they appear on a CGI render of a fighter aircraft that appears in the movie/TV show, and were not physically present on the movie set during filming.
That would cut down on the how many films are listed for sure. The M61's in the armory have been out less than a dozen times. But I believe that some films made overseas (Israel) used a plane at the bore site range for on camera shot of the weapon firing.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Phoenixent Phoenixent is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: California
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Definitely not brigade level. Anything that's too big to be carried on and/or fired from a Humvee (or equivalent vehicle) shouldn't get its own page.
There are or was an armory that had blank fire 37mm, 75mm and 105mm howitzers in their inventory and since the breach block was the registered part with ATF, armorers went out on location with those also. I towed a 37mm on a trailer behind my Expedition for a film shoot. The looks I got on the freeway were the funniest thing.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-07-2010, 06:53 PM
AdAstra2009's Avatar
AdAstra2009 AdAstra2009 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,067
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
TI towed a 37mm on a trailer behind my Expedition for a film shoot. The looks I got on the freeway were the funniest thing.
lol, I can imagine.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
MT2008's Avatar
MT2008 MT2008 is offline
IMFDB & Forum Admin
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
That would cut down on the how many films are listed for sure. The M61's in the armory have been out less than a dozen times. But I believe that some films made overseas (Israel) used a plane at the bore site range for on camera shot of the weapon firing.
Thanks for that info. If you want to edit the page down to ONLY movies that you know used the blanked M61s, please do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixent View Post
There are or was an armory that had blank fire 37mm, 75mm and 105mm howitzers in their inventory and since the breach block was the registered part with ATF, armorers went out on location with those also. I towed a 37mm on a trailer behind my Expedition for a film shoot. The looks I got on the freeway were the funniest thing.
That is hilarious. Did you get pulled over?

I had no idea that armories kept working howitzers. I had always been under the impression that those are rented out (de-activated) by military vehicle rental companies only, and that the F/X crew handles the pyrotechnics to make them fire. But I guess not.
__________________
Cry "Havoc," and let slip the hogs of war.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 PM
MoviePropMaster2008's Avatar
MoviePropMaster2008 MoviePropMaster2008 is offline
IMFDB Admin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
I had no idea that armories kept working howitzers. I had always been under the impression that those are rented out (de-activated) by military vehicle rental companies only, and that the F/X crew handles the pyrotechnics to make them fire. But I guess not.
That still is the most common occurrence. Or they are borrowed from a Nat Guard unit. Or they were working howitzer that is too much of a hassle to load up with a full blank shell, so again, it's probably cheaper and easier to re-set over and over again with a simple "poof" charge from the Pyrotechnics crew.

FYI: I know military reenactors who have 75mm Pack Howitzers and some German Units who have 88s. If they got them, you KNOW Armories can get them.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-14-2010, 09:57 PM
bunni bunni is offline
Site Manager
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Which is why we're explicit about the mods must be done by professional or semi-professional groups to warrant inclusion.



Definitely not brigade level. Anything that's too big to be carried on and/or fired from a Humvee (or equivalent vehicle) shouldn't get its own page.

As for the 20mm rotary cannon (such as the M61, which Steve mentioned), I am at least OK with them if you guys have those in the industry and have converted them to blank-fire. What I don't want, however, is for people to include those weapons if they appear on a CGI render of a fighter aircraft that appears in the movie/TV show, and were not physically present on the movie set during filming.
I'm basically of the same opinion. I think it's fine to mention the indirect fire weapons on page, and point out interesting trivia about them specifically, but I don't think they warrant their own page - it's not really the purpose of the site, and it opens up an entirely new can of worms.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
How much input does Chris Bunni actually give as far as these kinds of decisions go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008
He doesn't. He just floats around and lets the members of the Imperium decide on the fate of condemned pages. He gave the membership the power and thus trusts us to use it wisely.......
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-14-2010, 09:59 PM
bunni bunni is offline
Site Manager
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
...some German Units who have 88s...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
How much input does Chris Bunni actually give as far as these kinds of decisions go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008
He doesn't. He just floats around and lets the members of the Imperium decide on the fate of condemned pages. He gave the membership the power and thus trusts us to use it wisely.......
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 PM
BurtReynoldsMoustache BurtReynoldsMoustache is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT2008 View Post
Although we call ourselves Internet Movie Firearms Database, I have generally thought of "firearms" as encompassing small arms.

Mortars are small enough and portable enough that they essentially qualify as small arms. I feel the same way about weapons like recoilless rifles and compact missile systems. Anything bigger, I don't think should have its own page, but I admit it's a gray area. For example, I am fine with the BGM-71 TOW having its own page (which it does), but I wouldn't feel the same way about the AGM-114 Hellfire. I can't really articulate why, since they're both anti-tank missiles. I guess it's because the TOW is primarily a surface-to-surface weapon that is often fitted to Humvees (though it does have air-to-surface variations), while the Hellfire is air-to-surface only and is meant to be fired from gunships.

Maybe I should put it this way: If the weapon is something that is too big or too complex to be carried and operated by platoon-sized units of infantry or cav, it probably doesn't deserve its own page on IMFDB.
TOW has a launcher, Hellfire doesn't. If you see a TOW in a film, it may or may not be the real launcher. If you see a Hellfire in a film, it most certainly is not real, it's just the munition.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.