imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:54 PM

The burden of proof is so high for a death penalty case, and modern advances in dna and other forensics are so good that the innocents on death row thing is really hard to believe, i know way back in time there were the false convictions but i havent heard of any in modern day trials. And look, stataes that have the death penalty have alower murder rate, so if you need to kill afew bad guys to save some inncoent people im or it.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
The burden of proof is so high for a death penalty case, and modern advances in dna and other forensics are so good that the innocents on death row thing is really hard to believe, i know way back in time there were the false convictions but i havent heard of any in modern day trials. And look, stataes that have the death penalty have alower murder rate, so if you need to kill afew bad guys to save some inncoent people im or it.
I have no idea where Shooter got his information, what I found says the inverse is true.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/dete...r-murder-rates

The theory that threat of execution acts as a deterrent doesn't work if you only execute the minority of murderers who commit particularly heinous crimes.

Last edited by BurtReynoldsMoustache; 09-30-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtReynoldsMoustache View Post
but in practice it's more about revenge than actual justice.
Are they not the same? Hammurabi's code anyone...
Old 09-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Are they not the same? Hammurabi's code anyone...
No they're not the same. If I damage your fence, having justice would mean I paid to repair it. Revenge would be if you destroyed my fence in retaliation. Now nobody has a fence and we have a feud.

Hammurabi's code is where we get an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and as Gandhi said "An eye for an eye ends in making everybody blind."
Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
No they're not the same. If I damage your fence, having justice would mean I paid to repair it. Revenge would be if you destroyed my fence in retaliation. Now nobody has a fence and we have a feud.

Hammurabi's code is where we get an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and as Gandhi said "An eye for an eye ends in making everybody blind."
Irrelevant example, you can't pay for a murdered wife/son/daughter/husband to be "repaired" but in that case I see the death of the perpetrator as the closest to justice as you'll ever get.

Quote:
Gandhi said "An eye for an eye ends in making everybody blind."
Gandhi was racist and supported Adolf Hitler.......I have no respect for him or his quotes.

And that quote doesn't even make sense...

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 09-30-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
What you're not taking into account is law enforcement's overzealousness to obtain a conviction resulting in the imprisonment and execution of an innocent person. This happens alot. Executions should just be done away with, getting to the point of proving that somebody actually deserves to die is expensive and time consuming and results in a very small number of executions. It's not even worth it. Executing certain people may be justifiable, but in practice it's more about revenge than actual justice.
It's less expensive than keeping them alive in prison for the rest of their life

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-30-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
It's less expensive than keeping them alive in prison for the rest of their life

Theoretically, problem is they are on death row 25 years with three appeals, which ends up costing more, if they got one appeal and 8-10 years things would be different.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-30-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Theoretically, problem is they are on death row 25 years with three appeals, which ends up costing more, if they got one appeal and 8-10 years things would be different.
That's what I said earlier, dammit

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 PM

Im agreeing with you, and BTW, didnt ghandi say the jews should commit mass suicide? I know all "civil rights leaders" are put to godly status in our textbooks in school but if you look into their lives they are usually WAY different.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 09-30-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
yup. I like the PRC's stance on the death penalty, There was this child killer(sick motherfucker, hope he's burning in hell http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1225859462055 ) and they executed him within a month of the murders. They do it by firing squad as well. I imagine that with the speed of conviction to execution and the method of execution that it would lower costs immensely.

Last edited by AdAstra2009; 09-30-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Closed Thread