imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 05-19-2009, 11:55 PM

There are documented cases in failures to penetrate, depending on strength/angle of glass. it stands that 308 penetrates deeper, sorry to break it to you. I would not trust a windshield against 556 personally, but if i was firing at a car i'd take an m14 over any m4. Come down to the CG base and tell some of the prior army guys i work with their game kiddies.....

BTW, care to share you massive expertise and experience using 5.56mm weapons in battle?

Last edited by k9870; 05-20-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 AM
IMFDB Admin

The 5.56mm round is going at the speed of sound, I think it is more than capable of penetrating a car windshield, as long as it isn't bullet proof.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:46 AM

READ THE BUICK O' TRUTH!

Repeated testing(sure, not with scientific rigor, but still) shows that very few things WILL NOT penetrate a windshield. Hell, the 5.56 will penetrate THE FRIGGIN CAR.

EDIT: Link
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/buickot4.htm
Old 05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
IMFDB Admin

The only thing to take into account is the angle of the windshield. A round such as a .38 Special or maybe even some rifle rounds may ricochet off the windshield if it hits at enough of an angle.

I watched this show where they showed that the only place you are really safe from incoming fire when taking cover behind a car is at the front or rear axles (behind the tires) since there is enough to stop the bullets there. But you should stand a few feet from the car so rounds hitting the hood or back won't fragment into you.

I hate how in movies and videogames they show car windshield shatter after being hit by rounds, even though the glass is layered and stuck together with special adhesive, so it would only spider a little bit.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:06 PM

They did a great job with it in GTA 4, actually.
The windshield will not get destroyed unless someone is ejected through it, and the side windows shatter easily(as shown by... THE BOX O' TRUTH!)

However, you can still take cover behind the open door of a car.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:47 PM
IMFDB Admin

Yeah, GTA 4 was great with that. I actually tried to destroy the windshield with gunfire without blowing up the car and it is impossible. Even when you don't blow the car up, weapons fire will never destroy the windshield.

If the car rolls though it may break. The cover system in general didn't factor in what guns can penetrate. You can take cover behind a cardboard box and you'll be okay.

I wish GTA 4 had more guns, it gets boring with the typical selection after a while.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:50 PM

The military is currently working on an intermediate round, as the 5.56 does not have all that much enrgy to play with. At extreme range it loses power, where 7.62mm DMRs come in. Of course I have heard AR fans say an m4 with an acog is a better DMR....yes, really...And even thin obstacles like sheet metal and wood doors have been known to slow the 556 down enough that it isn't delivering enough energy to reliably take down a bad guy. I cant wait to see an intermidiate round, the 6.5 grendel would be good if it didn't jam up so easy.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:15 PM
IMFDB Admin

Ironically the show I was talking about is on right now, American Guardian on the Outdoor Channel, 153 on my Dish Net.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Panwich Krauser

hey, they'll both get the job done.

mikhail made a beauty that has been around for more than 50 years. he wins for withstanding the test of time.

america (fuck yeah) made a gun that needed improvements, then made those so it keeps it perfectly, if not outperforms.

how bout AK in the left hand, Colt in the right? i'm 6'7" and built like a linebacker. i've done it, it's fun, and everyone's happy.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 PM

Panwitch,
At your size you are unusually large and I'm betting that alot of weapons are simply put too small for your frame. On the other hand you can use weapons that are larger than what people would usually use comfortably. I have a friend who is 6'4" and his Platoon Commander once had him carry an M-2HB SAS style(Fully Assembled on a tripod) durring a training mission. Normally such a thing is done with a GPMG.

While you can fire low to mid power rifles one handed it's not something that many people have the strenght for.