imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

Well I plan to get the XD-M later on. 19+1 rounds of 9mm.

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle
Psalm 144:1

“It is always wrong to use force, unless it is more wrong not to.”
Old 07-17-2009, 09:59 PM

9 rounds of 45 is enough for me. I like the single stack 1911s, a doub le stack just woldn't fit in the hand the same way. Not an XD fan, but thats cause i dont like striker fired guns, triggers feel weird. The XD is miles above the BLOCK series though.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:16 AM

I live in a state where winter clothing is suicide, because of how freaking hot it is here. I guess it might be different in Florida than in states where weather actually changes. If it's cold and you can wear a jacket, it's a lot easier, but in a t-shirt and shorts, you run into some problems.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:20 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Have you tried to conceal a gun on your person before? It's not easy, and a big ass hi-cap .45 doesn't make it easier. Aside from mexican carry, hiding a gun isn't as easy as you'd think with the ways you bend and sit (My 1911 jams into my groin if I'm mexican carrying, too, so sitting down is out of the question. We're talking a single stack too). There's a reason people carry with crossdraws and IWBs, while wearing leisure suits that can accomodate something like a hunk of metal. I'm no carry master, nor can I carry myself, but I understand the basics, and a full size hi cap is more or less out of the question.

Still, I saw this youtube video where this guy taped himself concealing a Glock under a sweater, and as he bent over to put groceries in the car, the gun kept getting exposed. Luckily, no one noticed, so hiding in plain sight works, sorta. Wouldn't count on it though.
I usually wear a light jacket in summer and a heavy one in winter, and both hide the holster I wear on my hip. So it works decent for me. You can see a little bit of the holster sticking out of the light jacker, but not enough for anyone to care. Also, I've though about getting a small-of-the-back holster that cants the gun horizontally, like the holster the Punisher used. It hid his .45 pretty well.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 AM
IMFDB Admin

Send a message via AIM to Excalibur Send a message via MSN to Excalibur Send a message via Yahoo to Excalibur

In the summer and spring time, after I saw Man on Fire, I wore a t-shirt and a button shirt over it and my weapon in a holster to my side. The shirt blocks it most of the time

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."

Blessed be the LORD, my rock, Who trains my hands for war, And my fingers for battle

Old 07-18-2009, 02:17 AM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Well I plan to get the XD-M later on. 19+1 rounds of 9mm.
If I owned one here in New York, I'd get the neutered 10 round magazine. Unless I bought it from someone who already owned a 19-rounder.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:23 PM
IMFDB Admin

Then carry extra magazines and do combat load. Or in that case, just go with a .45 since the reason I want a 9mm is for the magazine capacity

Old 07-18-2009, 08:51 PM
IMFDB Admin

I actually practice tactical pistol reloads and if the mag well is big enough and I have something like a good magazine holder, I do pretty well.

No joke I had a one second reload once. I was in awe and forgot to shoot for a minute. . Everything just flowed perfectly smooth. I've done good reload before, but I think that one took the gold. I was shooting a customers USP-45 and he gave a spare magazine. I've also done good reloads with Glocks, but the 1st gens have magazines that fall out slow because they expand from being loaded, so only the newer gen guns do reloads right.

A single stack 1911 without a bevelled magazine well though, is damn near impossible to reload fast, you're trying to put the magazine into too small a hole too fast (no "that's what she said jokes", please ). I take around 1-2 extra seconds trying to stick the magazine in and get the catch to grab hold.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:58 PM

If you need more than a mag i think running is a better choice to stay alive. Don't get me wrong, carry extra mags, just know your limitations.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:15 AM
IMFDB Admin

Of course, you wouldn't just stand out in the open and dump every round you had on you, likely you'd take cover and run.