imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post

Why do Cylons have to be design so insanely hot?

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 07-24-2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
Oh great, I accidentally blinded Smithy.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 07-24-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish941 View Post
Oh great, I accidentally blinded Smithy.
Don't worry, I "acquired" (forcibly took using a melonballer and a Case brand hunting knife) a working pair in the handful of minutes between the time you posted and now

Old 07-24-2011, 03:53 AM

A popsicle would be awesome right now

Old 07-24-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
For some reason i cant warm up to hi powers, they are genrally very expensive when i do see them, and then its not really good to go out of the box as the trigger sucks until the stupid mag disconnect is removed.
Cost is relative, I paid under 700 bucks for my first one and well under 600 for my second one, granted they were not "new" but they aren't ridiculously high in cost next to a lot of the 1911s on the market, SIG pistols and some of the other higher end wondernines in similar condition if you do some looking. The triggers in older ones even with the disconnect in are fine, though some people complain about newer ones, but they're better than a lot of double action and safe action triggers with regard to breaking point, and taking out the magazine disconnect can be done in all of five minutes.

More to the point, have you ever actually held one? It fits in ones hand like a dream, generally speaking at least, some people with huge hands might have a problem cause of hammer bite etc, but there is really nothing I can think of that has a better grip, and very few guns come close.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:13 AM

Won't Back Down is probably the only good Eminem song.

You're every bit the detective that your followers on internet believe - Brainiac, Superman The Animated Series
Old 07-24-2011, 05:06 AM

As much as I don't like and avoid these threads, I'm catching messages that are striking some minor chords with me.

First of all that statement about Eminem and that song is pretty subjective. Second, in relation to his themes and sound, no, Wont Back Down is kind of weak as it's very pop-ish with regard to music and lyrics as his entire new album is. The fact that they used it in the marketing for Black Ops doesn't help me give it more credit either...
Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 AM

According to TV Tropes, Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and Lee Van Cleef were going to play henchmen in Once Upon a Time in the West and then get cut down by Harmonica (played by CHARLES BRONSON). That would have been awesome!

From "WhatCouldHaveBeen/Film":

• The three henchmen at the beginning of Once Upon a Time in the West were originally to be played by Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach. Let me rephrase this: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly step into Once Upon a Time in the West, acting all tough and badass — and get shot down five minutes into the movie by the Harmonica. But since Eastwood was unavailable, Sergio Leone scrapped this

Old 07-24-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
Cost is relative, I paid under 700 bucks for my first one and well under 600 for my second one, granted they were not "new" but they aren't ridiculously high in cost next to a lot of the 1911s on the market, SIG pistols and some of the other higher end wondernines in similar condition if you do some looking. The triggers in older ones even with the disconnect in are fine, though some people complain about newer ones, but they're better than a lot of double action and safe action triggers with regard to breaking point, and taking out the magazine disconnect can be done in all of five minutes.

More to the point, have you ever actually held one? It fits in ones hand like a dream, generally speaking at least, some people with huge hands might have a problem cause of hammer bite etc, but there is really nothing I can think of that has a better grip, and very few guns come close.
They do fit the hand very well, I got to say. And they usually cost 800 or so around me new, never see used ones. Thats a gun without night sights or anything. The one i shot had a disconnect and had a 9 pound sa trigger. Also I do not like magazine disconnects on any gun out there. Personal preference. I see some sweet hi powers people have worked on but the cost is too high imo, just not my cup of tea, they are popular though and if you dig the gun rock on.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 07-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
They do fit the hand very well, I got to say. And they usually cost 800 or so around me new, never see used ones. Thats a gun without night sights or anything. The one i shot had a disconnect and had a 9 pound sa trigger. Also I do not like magazine disconnects on any gun out there. Personal preference. I see some sweet hi powers people have worked on but the cost is too high imo, just not my cup of tea, they are popular though and if you dig the gun rock on.
Customizing anything in a quality way or professionally is going to make any gun cost a boat load of money. And just as well I know you want a 627 which is an 800 dollar revolver in a market full of ~400 dollar guns which are plenty adequate, and I know you love Springfields which are, aside from their most budget guns, at a higher price point point than other 1911s as well as a Hi-Power, while not offering much more outside of a standard 1911 which enhance the gun more that its cheaper counterparts.

As far as functional accessories go, a Springfield Loaded has bigger sights (also non night sights) an ambi safety, a 3 hole trigger, and perhaps a beveled mag well. A current Mark III will have an ambi safety, comparable sights, as well as a finish superior to parkerizing and in some ways stainless steel (epoxy coating), but it will lose out on a better stock trigger and mag well. I don't know how much beveling a mag well would cost (I imagine not much, but if you're going to be a true trigger snob, all triggers need work, and comparing anything to a 1911 trigger is unfair really.

Not to mention the Hi-Power is A: in the wondernine category and not the 1911 category with these features further justifying its price, and B: a single action wondernine, a pretty exclusive category which appeals to those in favor of the 1911 battery of arms (quite a few people I'd say), so when you factor that in (as well as the price of a Loaded 1911, anywhere between 800 and 1200 dollars next to a Hi-Power which has a lower price range than that) the Hi-Power isn't that unreasonable, not considering what you have established as your (extravagant) taste. Yes, you can get a Glock/Beretta/Ruger/S&W auto new or used for a few bills less, but aside from being wondernines they are really distinct from the Hi-Power and in some ways the Hi-Power beats them out clearly (I'll attest to shootability and accuracy as well as stone cold features), so given that and the fact you bend over backwards for guns more expensive and slightly more effective (in some ways less) than others in their category, you're not being entirely reasonable in disliking Hi-Powers.
Closed Thread