imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

I was twelve in 1980 when my father began my firearms education. He was an Idaho State Trooper so he naturally used his duty revolver as one of the weapons he introduced to me.

It was a S&W Model 65 with a 4" barrel. I fired 38 special full wadcutters. Probably 148 grain.

I also started with my dad's S&W Model 36 which was by my request. I had loved that little revolver since he had gotten it some five years earlier. Guess I watched too many detective movies. I still like that little revolver. So much that I now own my own.

Last of all was his S&W K-22 Target Masterpiece.

When it finally came time for me to own my own handgun it was a Colt Trooper Mk III with a 6" barrel. Christmas 1983.

Once in a great while I would shoot dad's Colt Commander or his Walther PPK. But 45 acp and .380 was expensive. 38 wadcutter loads were provided by ISP to the troopers for practice. It was plentiful.

Cut my teeth on revolvers. Then as the years went by I became infatuated with semi-autos. Revolvers were clunky and old-fashioned. I wanted Sig, Beretta, Browning, Glock and H&K.

I spent many years in the U.S. Army and was totally happy with all the automatics and semi-automatics. Entered into my law enforcement career in 2000 and carried a Sig Sauer P220 (45acp). Didn't miss revolvers. However my Colt Trooper was still in my safe. Hadn't shot it in years, but it was still there.

Fast forward to November 2003. I was at a local gunshow. For some reason ,that I still don't understand, a S&W M28 Highway Patrolman w/6" barrel caught my eye. I don't know why. I found myself looking at it and I began to remember those first shooting lessons with dad in the summer of 1980. Suddenly I knew that I had to have it. Didn't even haggle over the price. $350.00 and I walked out with a revolver. After twenty years I had bought a revolver.

I now have ten revolvers. The Sig P220 went for a trade to get one of those revolvers now in my safe and I now carry a Glock 19 as my duty sidearm.

I haven't quit semi-autos. I own four of them (G19,G26, Colt M1908 Hammerless and a Browning Buckmark) and I like them. However revolvers speak to me of a different time and place. In the practical sense they've helped me become a better shooter. Old fashioned or not I like them. Both revolvers and semi-autos have their strengths and weaknesses. Neither reigns supreme over the other.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere View Post
And it can't be that hard to get ahold of a 627. I've shot one (and I enjoy my Model 19 a whole lot more : D).
It'd be pretty difficult to get one in the exact configuration k9870 specified unless you visit a loan shark to get the amount of cash you would need to special order it

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&Wshooter View Post
It'd be pretty difficult to get one in the exact configuration k9870 specified unless you visit a loan shark to get the amount of cash you would need to special order it
Just buy the 627, may need to order one if not in store. then send it to clark custom guns down in louisiana for work. Im not expecting a super revovler from the factory.

I see semis as being a much more useful self defense tool, but when it comes to shooting fun, I want some of each.

Grunt, Mass effect 3

Last edited by k9870; 01-26-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

I prefer revolvers for the same reason I like DA/SA autos, I like having a choice. I don't think I can ever get a DAO revolver. (I was looking at a Ruger LCR though, because it was light and looked cool, but the guy wouldn't let me test the trigger pull.) I remember I was looking for a concealed carry gun, and it came down to a Kel Tec PF9 or a snub revolver, and I went with the revolver, because I wanted something I can enjoy shooting at the range as well. I would like to work on my DA shooting though.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:52 PM

the lcr trigger is supposed to be sweet, and its a pocket gun for close range defense not a precision shooter. Id like one as a BUG some day, or a light clothes carry option (small gun beats no gun.)

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
the lcr trigger is supposed to be sweet, and its a pocket gun for close range defense not a precision shooter. Id like one as a BUG some day, or a light clothes carry option (small gun beats no gun.)
My requirements at the time were that it could either be a revolver or auto, had to be concealable in both hot and cold weather, preferably either in 9mm or .38 (since I already had 9mm and .38 guns) and preferably something I'd enjoy at the range as well.

All I wanted to do was dry fire the LCR, and I always ask first. The problem was, it had one of those plastic plates in there, and dry firing would've destroyed it, so the guy said no. Oh well.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM

Wow the cabelas near me allowed dry firing but only for people 21 and up.

Grunt, Mass effect 3
Old 01-27-2011, 05:40 AM

I was at a Cabela's that had trigger locks on pretty much all their stuff, and they had signs up saying not to move any parts. I guess they didn't want people to fiddle with the bolts on the rifles or whatever.

Does leaving a firearm cocked for a long time put unnecessary stress on the internals? That might explain it.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM

The trigger pull on the LCR is pretty sweet, I just don't like the way it looks or the fact that its a DAO.