Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
What was issued before the glock?
beretta 92fs i think
Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Before my department began issuing GLOCK pistols we could carry any approved pistol as long as it was in 9mm, 40 S&W or 45acp. I carried a SIG-Sauer P220 at first then went to the SIG-Sauer P245. Most of us carried Berettas, GLOCKS, Sigs and Rugers. There were a few H&K USP's, Springfields, S&W, 1911's and Browning Hi-Powers as well.

In the fall of 2006 admin decided that it was better to go to a single caliber and a single issue handgun. So the GLOCK 21 was picked. Those of us who were employed with the department before the transition were authorized to carry the G19 if we wished.

Anyone hired after the transition doesen't get a choice. It's the G21 or nothing else. We are now issuing the G21SF and we will probably issue the G21 4th Generation when it is readily available.

I am one of five officers (to include the Chief) who have opted for the G19.

Detectives are authorized to carry the G30 when in plain clothes. They have to purchase the G30 with their own money and they are issued a G21 for their duty belt.

For ammo we issue Federal 45acp +P 230 grain HST and Federal 9mm +P 124 grain HST for the pistols.

Only those officers on the department TRT (i.e. SWAT) are authorized to carry lights on their GLOCKS. They have to purchase the special holsters with their own money.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Before my department began issuing GLOCK pistols we could carry any approved pistol as long as it was in 9mm, 40 S&W or 45acp. I carried a SIG-Sauer P220 at first then went to the SIG-Sauer P245. Most of us carried Berettas, GLOCKS, Sigs and Rugers. There were a few H&K USP's, Springfields, S&W, 1911's and Browning Hi-Powers as well.

In the fall of 2006 admin decided that it was better to go to a single caliber and a single issue handgun. So the GLOCK 21 was picked. Those of us who were employed with the department before the transition were authorized to carry the G19 if we wished.

Anyone hired after the transition doesen't get a choice. It's the G21 or nothing else. We are now issuing the G21SF and we will probably issue the G21 4th Generation when it is readily available.

I am one of five officers (to include the Chief) who have opted for the G19.

Detectives are authorized to carry the G30 when in plain clothes. They have to purchase the G30 with their own money and they are issued a G21 for their duty belt.

For ammo we issue Federal 45acp +P 230 grain HST and Federal 9mm +P 124 grain HST for the pistols.

Only those officers on the department TRT (i.e. SWAT) are authorized to carry lights on their GLOCKS. They have to purchase the special holsters with their own money.
That's a whole hel;l of a lot better than Beaumont PD's policy of "buy all your own shit (guns and holsters), but no Magnums or anything below 9mm", which is why duty guns range from shitty no name guns to high dollar 1911's

http://www.introvertisland.com
Old 12-24-2010, 06:04 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Yes in many ways my department is pretty good to work for. The holster, belt, handcuffs and vest are all purchased. If you decide later on to get another vest, more magazines, a newer holster ect we get $700.00 every January. I usually use the money to get some ammo for shooting and uniform clothing and boots.

My holster is finally where I want it in terms of wear and I really don't want to break in a new holster. The Safariland Level III security holster can be a real bear whne it's brand new. Many hours spent working with it before I'm happy. But I am looking at a new belt. The belt tends to get pretty chewed up after a few years.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Isn't the belt ungodly heavy when fully loaded?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:53 PM

Yeah, back problems are common among police officers, every teacher ive had said if your a patrol officer, then you need to work out a lot for your back.

I can see why departments may want to standardize a caliber, but not a gun. They say its to share mags in a firefight, but odds are if you run out of your ammo, your partner has too. And if you shoot 3-4 magazines, you should be using a rifle or shotgn for this fight. Besides, I know some people shoot one type of gun better than another. So if you cnat shoot crapwith a glock and shoot expert with a sig, then you should carry the later. Some departments in my have a approved list, where you pick one, and have a set budget (one officer said he was given 1000 to buy gun, belt, gear.)

Grunt, Mass effect 3

Last edited by k9870; 12-24-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9870 View Post
Yeah, back problems are common among police officers, every teacher ive had said if your a patrol officer, then you need to work out a lot for your back.

I can see why departments may want to standardize a caliber, but not a gun. They say its to share mags in a firefight, but odds are if you run out of your ammo, your partner has too. And if you shoot 3-4 magazines, you should be using a rifle or shotgn for this fight. Besides, I know some people shoot one type of gun better than another. So if you cnat shoot crapwith a glock and shoot expert with a sig, then you should carry the later. Some departments in my have a approved list, where you pick one, and have a set budget (one officer said he was given 1000 to buy gun, belt, gear.)

In Houston officers are issued the P226, but everyone carries a Glock for some reason. In Beaumont I think you have to pay for your own stuff with your own money

Old 12-24-2010, 06:30 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
Well I'll probably still get a G34 and see how I like it. It interests me and I will be getting it just to shoot it/own it. It won't be a duty pistol. That's what my G19 is for. Which by the way I have to say the G19 had impressed me. I was more or less neutral about it, but it's been over four years since my department went to issuing GLOCKS and I have to admit that the 19 has won me over. It's an easy pistol to maintain,operate and it shoots well. Hey what more can you ask of a handgun that you take to work? It's a good tool I guess.
I like the G19, too (it's the only Glock I would really love to own someday).
Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

k9870

Quote:

I go to a chiropracter on a consistent basis and I work out. It helps. I also stopped running. Instead I walk, ride the bicycle, stair machine, eliptical ect. Running just tore me up. Too much impact on my lower back. So now I'm one of those cops who does not chase the bad guy. Hell even when I was twenty I wasn't that fast of a runner. I'm 42 now.

The decision to go to a standard handgun wasn't mine. I don't know the reason behind it. It was never explained to me. However as a firearms instructor I have found that most of our new officers (many who have experience with rifles/shotguns, but little to none with handguns) pick up the GLOCK pretty fast. Also it's very easy to figure out what they are doing wrong since we are all on the same sheet of music.

And our new officers want to be cops so they're motivatd to learn how to shoot the G21. It's just the way it is.

Last edited by Jcordell; 12-24-2010 at 06:33 PM.