imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > Just Guns

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Default Unexpected benefit to the gun buying frenzy. Well for me at least.

Okay so we all know that 22 LR, 9mm, 45ACP, 5.56mm NATO and 7.62mm NATO are now very hard to find and prices are inflated - especially on 5.56mm. We also know that pretty much any and all AR models are also hard to find along with hi-cap magazines.

Well today is the first day ,since the school shooting, that I stopped in at one of my local gunshops. Guess what I discovered. While they are also pretty much out of all the items I listed above the one thing they are overflowing with are older models of all types. Winchester Model 12 shotguns in all gauges, numerous sporterized bolt action rifles (Lee - Enfields, 1903's, 1917 Enfields, Mauser 98's), many collectible revolvers (Colt OM's, various four and five screw S&W) and semi-autos to include an Artillery Luger, an American Eagle Luger, a pristine Model 1935 High-Power (pre-WWII) with the adjustable sights several Mauser pocket pistols and so on. Also many of the prices were pretty reasonable. Oh some were a bit much, but that goes with the territory.

I was not expecting to see so many older models. In case you haven't guessed I'm a big fan of the "old" stuff. I was advised by the manager that they have had a run of folks trading in their older pieces in order to purchase AR-15 rifles, magazines, and ammo.

No complaints from me. Actually I have one. I am not yet ready for another gun purchase and it took all of my willpower to walk out of there with the credit card still in the wallet. But I have a feeling some of the various pieces might still be there in a couple of months. I suspect that many people are draining their inventories and discretionary funds in order to purchase one AR-15, some ammo and a few magazines. I still suspect that in a few months this bubble is going to burst and many will not be in the market for awhile.

So while I am frustrated by the panic buying going on I have realized that their is a silver lining for those who are a bit more patient - and not shopping for an AR-15 of course