imfdb.org  

Go Back   imfdb.org > The Forum > imfdb

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Being open to everybody doesn't work too well. It's made wikipedia into a mishmash clusterfuck of unreliable information, which is why they're starting to crack down on their users. Blocking ip addresses linked to Scientologists, deleting the massive catalog of homemade nude photos, policing edits of religious fanatics to the point that those people ran away and made their own wiki in some dark exiled corner of the internet, not exactly things that are in the spirit of being free and open, but necessary to ensure the integrity and reliability of the site.
Last I checked, Wikipedia also doesn't require Admins to approve all new users. Unless something's changed since I first signed up over there.

Quote:
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Block the trolls out before they can get in and you'll reduce your workload. And this website already bans people, that's not my suggestion. My idea would probably decrease the number of bans. That's not draconian at all, considering the admins already have (and wield) the power to ban.
...which is assuming guilt before innocence. Sounds quite draconian to me. Most people who join are not trolls and make useful edits. Sorry, but once again, NO.

Quote:
It's my solution to your problemYou came to the forums with a complaint, I answered with the best solution I could think of. I only champion this cause in threads you post.
At this point, what you are doing is "championing" a cause because you can't seem to admit you're wrong.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.