Thread: "Fake" ACOGs
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 09:02 PM
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca1_9904 View Post
I've read in some articles on the site that the way to tell if an ACOG scope is fake or real is to look for the presence or absence of the fiber-optic band across the top of the scope. While the majority of ACOG scope models do have this defining feature, I'm afraid there's a few, such as the TA01 series, that do not have the fiber-optic band. This might create some confusion with users claiming that an ACOG is fake because it lacks a fiber-optic band, when in fact it is a real one that simply does not have that feature in its' design. Just thought I'd bring this to the members' attention for future reference.
Great information. Good to know, thanks.

But FYI: 99% of the optics in Movie armory inventory are REPLICAs. Why spend the $$ on good optics (and they are really expensive) for something no one will sight through and all actors/stuntmen will just bang around.

I was handling the UMPs and other weapons from the movie IRONMAN and poking around the optics and asked Mike Papac (from Cinema Weaponry) "Are any of these real?" and he said "No, they're all Airsoft fakes".

Rule of thumb, if there is a decent (even a not so decent) replica of the optic, red dot, NV, etc. available, the armorers will use THAT rather than spend the outrageous sums of money for the real deal and risk having some idiot actor break it.