View Single Post
Old 09-22-2009, 01:38 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_Goodbomb View Post
It would be safer than a concealment holster, which could potentially be shot THROUGH, as it won't shift and the interior is metal, and if it is found (police have a tendency to search people at random when they're pulled over locally), it'll just look like a flask, which isn't illegal. In fact, if it's empty, no one would even suspect it to hold anything other than liquor, so they wouldn't give it a second glance after shaking it our pouring it upside down produces no liquid.
There are three potential problems I see with this idea...

(1.) I think of a flask as something that is HIGHLY likely to draw attention from police, whether they see you carrying it while walking, or if they spot it in your car. Since flasks are typically used to carry liquor, it's more likely that the officer will want to look at it. Flasks may not be illegal, but they are quite suspicious. I once had a cop who briefly questioned me over a plastic water bottle (of course, this is because I was on a university campus where people have tried to hide mixed drinks in water/soda bottles).

(2.) The gun would probably rattle around in the flask, which is sure to make any police officer suspicious. Of course, you could put foam or even paper towels inside to prevent this, but it might make it more difficult to draw the gun in a hurry.

(3.) Not sure how tough it would be, but I'm pretty sure most flasks can be penetrated fairly easily by almost any of the most common handgun calibers in the U.S. (.38, .357, 9mm, .40, .45). And of course, it goes without saying that a rifle of almost any caliber will also penetrate easily.

And personally, a Derringer isn't really my idea of a good conceal carry piece. I'd rather have something more like a sub-compact Glock, and I'm pretty sure that would be too big to fit in a flask by itself (let alone with an extra mag).

Last edited by MT2008; 09-22-2009 at 01:47 AM.