View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 AM

Location: west of NY, east of Cali, south of Canada, north of Mexico

I have always found that when I feel lacking in my states gun laws I go to the experts. Which means anyone but a patrol officer. I have found that police officers are generally not that informative about the law, believe it or not.

If you're interested in having your gun in your car often, call around to local gun shops or look for local gun shows and schedule a CCW class. They usually have a small fee, and attending these classes is always pretty informative about your state gun laws. And don't get shy in the class. Ask the stupid questions, ask the smart questions, and open a dialogue with your instructor about legal matters where your handgun is concerned.

GET THE CCW. Then learn where you can carry and cannot.

It also helps to be a social person while at the local range. Chat with the people who buy and sell guns, and shoot as often as you can. If you don't have a lot of experience with handguns, get a lot of experience.

I've found there are always some great classes being given for live fire instruction for home protection, self defense with your handgun, firing from your car, etc. But you have to seek those out. It's worth it.

I've had a CCW in Florida, and in Pennsylvania. They are worth the time and investment.