View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Just remember you get what you pay for. Is this your first handgun? What do you want it for? If you're wanting a handgun for personal protection I suggest you spend the extra bucks and get a Ruger GP100 or SP101. Of if it's an auto loader that you're wanting spend some more money and pick up a GLOCK or Springfield XD. No they aren't sexy, but those models are proven and they work.

However if you're looking for a plinker try the Browning Buckmark 22 pistol. They are reasonably priced and the ammo is affordable. I've owned by Buckmark for several years and I've never had any issues with it.

Now if you've got all those guns sure get a Heritage or a Rossi or a used Star or Llama, but I don't suggest you go cheap for your first purchases.

I've got plenty of "real world" and duty firearms. Now I'm at the point where I will buy older handguns like a Luger and spend some time and a little money tinkering with it to get it up to speed. But my Luger, Webley, MR 73, S&W M&P 3rd change and S&W Outdoorsman are not for serious business. Those guns are part of my hobby. Just be sure to divide the two.

Yes gun prices have gone up thanks to the currrent economy and political situation. Don't know if they're going to drop all that much. I've scaled back on my gun buys and make sure I have the money saved up before buying anything else. Many gunstores do layaway and you might want to consider that option. Just a suggestion. Good luck.