View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 04:51 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
What about "brandishing" against some you think may be an attacker (like if you feel threatened by some stranger harassing you in some desolate carpark or something)
AdAstra there is a difference between deploying your firearm because you're in a situation in which you believe your life might be in danger like somebody threatning you with a weapon etc and flashing your handgun at some people that you don't like and are trying to intimidate them.

Or having had too much alcohol and decide that it would be a great idea to pull out your handgun to "impress" everyone.

And yes there is a very good possibility that you might think somebody is a threat to you, you unholster your handgun and then the threat/suspect calls 911 and wants to file a criminal complaint against you for Aggravated Assault.

Does this mean that you are going to be found guilty and automatically lose your permit? No. An investigation would be conducted and the Prosecuting Attorney would make the decision to go to court or not to go to court.

That's how it works. It might not strike you as fair or very satisfying but that's the law. At least that's how we would and do work it in Idaho. Can't speak for Maryland which I know hates gunowners. Sorry.

I'm sure there is somebody who has a horror story about how the cops were assholes and confiscated the CCW holders sidearm and then the handgun vanished and couldn't be accounted for. If you go to The Hgih Road you'll think that there are hundreds of thousands of law abiding gun owners who have their legally owned handguns illegally confiscated and stolen by the cops across the U.S.A.

Well the few times I confiscated a legally owned firearm I returned it once the case was closed and the owner could own it. Obviously there are exceptions.