Thread: Inception...wow
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
WTF? What planet do you live on POI? Your statement implies that 'downloading or acquiring a bootleg movie' is the same as NOT watching it at all since in both cases you're not paying for the service.

That's like stealing fruit from a fruit stand and not eating fruit at all being equated as being the same thing. The concept makes NO SENSE.

Why do we spend so much time arguing against your bizarre posts?
Actually it's not at all like stealing a physical object. If I steal an apple from a store, the store loses any profit it would have made from selling the apple, in addition to the initial investment put into acquiring and displaying the apple. If I do not steal the apple, they can still recoup their investment and make a profitable return by selling the apple to somebody else.

If I pirate a movie, yes the studio loses the money they would have made had I purchased a ticket instead. But if it's a movie I wasn't going to pay money to see anyway, such as Meet The Spartans, then the lost profit has nothing to do with my piracy. Wether I pirate the movie, or just don't watch it at all, either way I'm still not paying the studio any money. They lose out either way because they made a horrible product. Additionally, me pirating the movie has no bearing on whether or not other people have the option to pay money to view the movie. If I steal the apple, that's one less apple the store can sell. If I pirate a movie, I'm not preventing anybody else from viewing the movie, the supply of viewings is not limited.

And on top of that, the studio takes no additional loss from delivering the movie to me. They spent no time or resources putting it up online for me to view. It doesn't cost them anything in hosting or bandwidth. This is in contrast to the apple, the cost of which goes beyond simply growing and transporting it, and is increased in terms of employee hours and available shelf space.