View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 02:47 AM
Formerly "Checkman"
IMFDB Admin

Oh lord the Caliber War has arrived here at imfdb. Albeit in a very civilized way. Here's what I go with.

I carry the Federal 124 grain +P HST jacketed hollow point in my Glock 19. My backup is a Smith & Wesson Model 49 Bodyguard. I carry 125 grain +P jacketed hollow points in it. I like the 45 acp and the 357 magnum, but for everyday I go with the 9mm and 38 Special. Bullet engineering has come a long ways since the FBI-Miami Shooting in 1986. I like the 9mm. I shoot it well. Also I don't have big hands and I find the Glock 19 Gen 4 to be comfortable and easy to handle. The 9mm doesn't beat up a pistol like more high powered loads do (40 S&W) and it's more affordable.

I am one of a handful of officers that carry the Glock 19. The majority carry the Glock 21 (45acp). Most of our detectives carry the Glock 30, but a few carry the Glock 19.

In the past fifteen years (since I've been with my agency) we've had three officer involved shootings. One suspect was put down with a single 45 to his heart. Another one took several 5.56 mm rounds - fired by SWAT when he pointed a gun at them. The last one was shot by an off duty officer who was carrying a S&W Model 640 in 38 Special. He hit the suspect in the shin. The hollow point performed perfectly and shattered the suspect's shin bone. The suspect promptly fell to the ground, dropped his gun (a POS Raven 25 caliber pistol) screamed in agony and gave up. He is still in prison and the officer is still working with us.

In all three cases the bullets did what they were supposed to do regardless of the caliber. They ended the threat. The loss of life is secondary (not desired) in law enforcement . Despite what all the screeching and the "protesters" would have you believe over the past year we don't want to kill people. No I haven't been in a shooting and I hope I never am involved in a shooting. I have nine more years to go before I can retire. No shootings. Please.

Last edited by Jcordell; 08-04-2015 at 02:58 AM.