View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 07:54 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviePropMaster2008 View Post
Remember when the ATF tried to declare a 'shoelace' when tied to the trigger of a weapon whose vibration would initiate another firing pin actuation, to be a machine gun. Yes, a SHOELACE would be a machine gun if attached to a semiauto rifle.
As I recall, wasn't the reason that failed because a shoelace would be a machine gun even if it wasn't attached to the rifle? I guess they were hoping that by now America would be free of everything but grandfathered shoelaces and they could get on to tackling the threat of velcro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
Never heard of preloaded mags coming straight from the depot.
I thought I'd heard of it being done, though I can see why you wouldn't, it's just asking for springs to fail on you. Still, just empty mags would be the same problem if you wind up with 30 cans of them when you wanted 30 cans of bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2009 View Post
I'm playing devil's advocate and yeah it's incorrect practice to call a mag a clip.
I just think it's obnoxious to snap on someone for something small like that.
Well, depends on usage, really. If you discuss things at a technical level a lot you need the terms to mean different things since otherwise it's rather hard to explain, say, what the difference is between a Mauser C96 and an M712 (one uses a 10-round clip and the other uses...a 10-round clip? A 10-round detachable clip? But, um, isn't the first one's clip...argh). Obviously the "perception" argument doesn't apply to the things themselves; if you put a C96 clip and a Schnellfeuer box magazine on the table side by side, no matter who looks at them it will be clear they are two different things. The trouble is the common usage leaves no word to describe one but not the other.

To give the example I should have given to begin with, "chaingun" is a good example of a term almonst universally used incorrectly. You ask your average man on the street what a chaingun is and you'll almost certainly have a gatling gun described to you. Which is fine until you're trying to explain what kind of gun a Bradley has and realise the actual term for it doesn't mean what it's supposed to anymore.

Last edited by Evil Tim; 04-30-2012 at 01:06 PM.