View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 05:18 AM
IMFDB & Forum Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaster45 View Post
I thought that during the figthing in Mogadishu (filmed in "Black Hawk Down"), the Colt Carbines they were using were burst guns. I can assume in actual life they weren't using the 727 Carbines (at least not Gary Gordon, who was said to fire his Commando in three-burst when defending the second crash site), but what were they using then? The M4 (777 model) came out a year after the event.
It's really hard to be sure. You have to remember that before the standardization of the M4, there really wasn't any specific model of CAR-15 serving as the U.S. military carbine for all branches. Throughout the 1970s and 80s, the DoD bought lots of different AR carbine models in various quantities, which were used by different services, different units, and, when it came to SF, different individuals (especially the D-boys, who had a lot of latitude in their choice of weaponry). So, the CAR-15s used in Mogadishu could have been any of a range of different models.

About the only service where there was any consistency in the carbines used was the USAF, who, as I've said before, tend to be very stingy when it comes to buying small arms. Their Vietnam War-era GAU-5s (XM177s) were pretty much the standard USAF carbine from the 1960s until as recently as 2001.

Last edited by MT2008; 07-12-2009 at 05:31 AM.